Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Driver Gets Golden Registers In Linux 3.10

Phoronix: Radeon Driver Gets Golden Registers In Linux 3.10

A second Linux 3.10 Radeon DRM driver pull request was submitted by AMD's Alex Deucher. The pull request sent to Red Hat's David Airlie for the DRM sub-system mentions the "golden registers" addition as being the highlight of this batch of new open-source AMD Linux graphics code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can a Dev weigh in more on "Golden Registers" ? It sounds important but Im not really grasping the concept from michael's summary
    Last edited by Ericg; 23 April 2013, 07:49 PM.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Can a Dev way in more on "Golden Registers" ? It sounds important but Im not really grasping the concept from michael's summary
      detto

would be interesting what functionality those provide

is this the preparation for the behind-doors developed new exciting changes ?

Comment

I have question, now that golden registers are pushed...

When are platin and diamond registers will be made available?..

/humor mode off

Comment

yeah same question. Golden Register? You gotta give us more than that.
          Last edited by duby229; 23 April 2013, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Can a Dev weigh in more on "Golden Registers" ? It sounds important but Im not really grasping the concept from michael's summary
            Something to do with power management?

Comment

I'm pretty sure its the initial set of registers that need to be setup so that the GPU can start to do something.

Think of those registers as things like setting the clocks right, voltage correct, dividers etc. Without those setup right, the GPU can't run. I'm sure there's more technical things being done as well.

Make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                ...Without those setup right, the GPU can't run...

Make sense?
                No as the GPU runs without this new thing, too, or where are all these "I have a black screen cause of no golden registers" bug reports?

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                  No as the GPU runs without this new thing, too, or where are all these "I have a black screen cause of no golden registers" bug reports?
                  Unless of course atombios etc does this. Or the defaults are sane enough that the GPU comes up, albeit underpowerd and underfeatured?

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                    Unless of course atombios etc does this.
                    If it does it, why does the driver now have to do it, too?
                    Or the defaults are sane enough that the GPU comes up, albeit underpowerd and underfeatured?
                    Static power management always worked fine for me. The GPU had always the speed and voltage it should have. Also what features should be missing without golden registers?

Comment

Working...
                    X