Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL ES Support For QEMU Emulator

Phoronix: OpenGL ES Support For QEMU Emulator

One of the items brought up this week at UDS Budapest was about providing OpenGL / OpenGL ES support for QEMU guests. The need for OpenGL ES 2.0 support in QEMU guests has come up since it's used in emulating Maemo / MeeGo for development environments. This would also make it possible to use Canonical's Unity desktop in a virtualized environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    This would also make it possible to use Canonical's Unity desktop in a virtualized environment.
    Jesus, Michael, choose your phrases better. Both Virtualbox and VMWare run Unity just fine, QEMU is the one that is lagging behind.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
      Jesus, Michael, choose your phrases better. Both Virtualbox and VMWare run Unity just fine, QEMU is the one that is lagging behind.
      That's what you're worried about?? I thought suggesting that we so desperately need 3D accel in virtual machines to run 'unity' is much more.. creative.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        Vmware has no OpenGl acceleration at all for linux Guests and in Virtualbox i only got terrible graphic glitches.
        What do you mean with "just fine"?

I get the same unauthorised message. Does your link point at a beta testers forum? I would second a plea for OpenGL 3D acceleration, with both Ubuntu and Gnome making full use of accelerated graphics in their new window managers it means that the attractions of using Workstation from a Windows host...

Comment

Originally posted by nkef View Post
          VMWare has no OpenGL acceleration at all for Linux Guests
          Not officially supported no, but the code lives in Mesa, so your distribution of choice should be able to offer it anyway (the driver is called SvgaII). There is a reason VMWave bought out Tungsten Graphics, the primary architect of Mesa...

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
            That's what you're worried about?? I thought suggesting that we so desperately need 3D accel in virtual machines to run 'unity' is much more.. creative.
            Without 3D accel in a VM, nVidia users have to install it just to laugh at how massive the fail is, and who wants to dick around with GRUB2 just for that?

in Virtualbox i only got terrible graphic glitches. What do you mean with "just fine"?
            Vbox 4.0.6 works just fine, no graphic glitches what-so-ever with Unity. If you are having problems with it, maybe you should be asking yourself why your install of Virtualbox sucks.

Comment

Working...
            X