This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.0-9XXX Driver Speculations

As Phoronix has been stating for some time, the next NVIDIA Linux driver release will likely not publicly surface until August or September of this year.

This will be their initial 1.0-9XXX release.

One of the notable highlights in the next driver is X.Org v7.1 support including GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap.

Among the other likely possibilities include a revamped installer and control panel interface.

For those pondering over when the next NVIDIA Linux display driver will be released, it looks like it may POSSIBLY occur during QuakeCon 2006. QuakeCon 2006 runs from August 3rd to the 6th. This information hasn't yet been confirmed by any sources, and the information is based on a bit more than a hunch.

We have also been staying tuned to Hewlett Packard's FTP servers, among other locations, to see if NVIDIA squeezes out any extra drivers -- such as what they had done with the 1.0-8183 Linux display drivers.

We are working source for more information, and once we have some more details that we are allowed to share, they will be passed on here.

Feel free to speculate at what NVIDIA's upcoming 1.0-9XXX Linux drivers may hold in store, in this thread.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

As far as I remember, one of the guys at the nvnews forum mentioned that the next 9XXX driver including the new GL extensions was a possibility without any guarantees. Do you know if the possible release during QuakeCon will be available internally to participants only or public?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadewalker
      As far as I remember, one of the guys at the nvnews forum mentioned that the next 9XXX driver including the new GL extensions was a possibility without any guarantees. Do you know if the possible release during QuakeCon will be available internally to participants only or public?
      X 7.1 support and the new GL extension should both be guaranteed for the next release.

It would be a complete public release.
      Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
        X 7.1 support and the new GL extension should both be guaranteed for the next release.

It would be a complete public release.
        How do you know that?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadewalker
          How do you know that?
          X.Org 7.1 support? It's been publicly confirmed by NVIDIA.

GL extension? I believe that was also confirmed officially by NVIDIA, but I have also received other information on that from sources.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

X.Org 7.1 support? It's been publicly confirmed by NVIDIA.

GL extension? I believe that was also confirmed officially by NVIDIA, but I have also received other information on that from sources.
            And what about the release type?

Comment

The August/September release time-frame is pretty much a given if you follow their usual release schedule. I believe they *might* have mentioned something like that as well on nvnews.

There will certainly be a new release prior to Fedora Core 6, which will ship with X 7.1, and the OpenSuSE 10.2 release with 7.1 is also scheduled in that late September/early October area (if I recall correctly).

The possible QuakeCon release is based upon other information, which hasn't been officially confirmed. I'm still working on acquiring some additional information on these matters.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

The August/September release time-frame is pretty much a given if you follow their usual release schedule. I believe they *might* have mentioned something like that as well on nvnews.

There will certainly be a new release prior to Fedora Core 6, which will ship with X 7.1, and the OpenSuSE 10.2 release with 7.1 is also scheduled in that late September/early October area (if I recall correctly).
                That's interesting. From nvnews:

Originally posted by netllama
                The next driver release will support Xorg-7.1. And before someone asks, I'm afraid that I cannot provide a timeframe for that release right now.

Thanks,
                Lonni
                So in short, I doubt we should count on any specific date. I also doubt that nVidia takes popular distro release dates into account as far as their display drivers are concerned.

Comment

Finally!

About time nVidia started to support v.7.1.

Comment

I agree with Shadewalker, I think it will be difficult to gauge nVidia's release on any time frame.

Maybe it'll get delayed, and delayed... like the last one.

Comment

Working...
                    X