Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel, NVIDIA Kernel Mode-Setting In Fedora 11

Phoronix: Intel, NVIDIA Kernel Mode-Setting In Fedora 11

Just three days ago we shared that Nouveau will become the default NVIDIA driver in Fedora 11 to replace the obfuscated xf86-video-nv mess. Now proposed for Fedora 11 is to also integrate the Nouveau kernel mode-setting driver. The Nouveau kernel mode-setting support is still very experimental as their API isn't even finalized and it will not enter the mainline Linux kernel in time for Fedora 11...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To really pull off elegance with all this though, we need proper bootloader behavior.

Hold down the c key as you boot, and the bootloader just checks instantaneously whether or not it's held down; if not, it immediately proceeds to the first OS on the menu, and if so, it presents said menu to the user. Unless the key is held down and it displays that menu, it never even touches graphical anything, and the machine appears to go directly from the bios to the desktop in one mode switch. Also note that when every second represents a quarter of the time it takes to boot, you can't go wasting any with the bios and bootloader, they must behave properly for an appropriately brief bootup process.
    Last edited by ethana2; 28 February 2009, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
      To really pull off elegance with all this though, we need proper bootloader behavior.

we pretty much have that in grub in Fedora, if you don't have any other OSes installed it'll no bother showing a grub menu.

Comment

It seems I can't find this mentioned anywhere: what's needed in order to test DRM modesetting with radeon DDX on an ancient R100 (M6)?

I'm currently using Debian's Xorg server 1.6, custom built 2.6.28 Linux kernel, and radeon DDX 6.11.

Does DDX 6.11 cope with DRM mode setting?

From what I understand, I should update kernel to 2.6.29, and build some development DRM branch: which one?

Comment

Working...
        X