Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Optimus Unofficially Comes To Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA Optimus Unofficially Comes To Linux

NVIDIA's Optimus multi-GPU technology now works under Linux. Well, at least for some notebooks, it's been hacked together by an open-source developer and in fact is working to use both Intel and NVIDIA graphics processors simultaneously with the respective drivers. This is the best Linux implementation we've seen yet with NVIDIA Corp still not announcing plans to officially support this technology under non-Microsoft operating systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if people will still praise Nvidia's closed-source support and insult the work of the FLOSS community after this.

Kudos for getting this to work and giving Nvidia owners the ability to use their hardware under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      I wonder if people will still praise Nvidia's closed-source support and insult the work of the FLOSS community after this.
      I don't think anyone is bashing the work of people on open graphic. given the lack of manpower they have achieved quite some.

Usually they just nag because its not feature complete or lacks in the performance department (at least for the newer chips). And sadly they are right

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post

Kudos for getting this to work and giving Nvidia owners the ability to use their hardware under Linux.
        As far as I know, most of the complaint are directed at AMD and not the (community) developers. While we all appreciate AMD's pro-opensource attitude, there is much room for extra effort if we compare the quality of their drivers (whether opensource or closed source) to the quality of the Nvidia drivers. Opensource > closed source, yes. But pragmatism > ideology.

As for the change regarding Optimus support, it's great that it's finally starting to work under Linux for people who already have Optimus hardware. I returned my laptop simply because Optimus was officially unsupported under Linux. And to be honest, I won't be buying any Optimus enabled hardware again as long as Nvidia doesn't put a bit of effort into supporting their hardware fully under Linux. If they aren't already working on it, they now have base to start with thanks to Martin. It will be a win-win situation for everyone.

Comment

This prime-ng code enables 3D acceleration to be used with Intel and NVIDIA graphics simultaneously.
          Onboard GPU for compositing (window) managament and 'normal' GPU for 3D rendering at the same time... Bring it!

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
            As far as I know, most of the complaint are directed at AMD and not the (community) developers. While we all appreciate AMD's pro-opensource attitude, there is much room for extra effort if we compare the quality of their drivers (whether opensource or closed source) to the quality of the Nvidia drivers. Opensource > closed source, yes. But pragmatism > ideology.
            Currently AMD has still lacking in all places closed source and weakly supported opensource. Intel has lacking opensource, but only due to opengl3 patent things - hardware is performing 101%. Nvidia still has best closed source so far and weakest opensource - but what will you get:
            Weak-hardware(Good) Intel, No-opensource(Bad) Nvidia or Messed-up(Ugly) AMD is your decision at the hardware store. Your decision. For desktop I decided Nvidia. If I want framebuffer Intel would be best choice. No room for AMD, in my opinion. If AMD does not do something they will end-up on Linux like Matrox on Windows.
            Intel only has to push stronger gpu hardware. Nvidia only needs to maintain driver support. AMD needs to either improve proprietary to level of nvidia, or open-source for their GPU cards to level of Intel, or bring in third "joker". Anyways AMD vision of opensource is definately not for me, one year experience was more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              Onboard GPU for compositing (window) managament and 'normal' GPU for 3D rendering at the same time... Bring it!
              That was what I thought about that as well. It's like the Lucid Hydra but in software and with the possibility to support any kind of GPU. When it does work as intended, what's there not to like?

Comment

Quick note

Hi all

Just a quick note..

Of different reasons the project has now changed name to bumblebee and have also been updated..

So, try it out... And remember to report back, so that I can improve this project..

Available here: https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee

Twitter: http://twitter.com/martinjuhl

Comment

How Wayland will allow seamless switching between multiple GPU?

Graphic Drivers stays the same. If they do not support switching or stepping into others work how Wayland help here?

Wayland do not change a bit when comes to 3D rendering on GPU?

Comment

Pfft!

This implementation idea seems very sound to me, or probably more sound than optimus on Windows (which does its own thing, not what I want it to).

On another note: Give AMD some slack. They are the only company that is open with us, and that honesty is worth a lot to me.
                    Besides, I'm sick of Nvidia hardware failing on me.
                    And find their shenanigans quite hilarious, how they lie to people repeatedly, how they consistently under deliver on promises, how they deliver hardware that constantly fails.

Comment

Working...
                    X