Eve Online axes Linux Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eve Online axes Linux Port

I don't know if this is news but sure is news to me.

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    I don't know if this is news but sure is news to me.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/02/11...-bu-bye-linux/
    It's not news. And it's because Cedega can't cut it...WINE/CrossOver Games does a better job of things and they say as much as part of the reason they're dropping it. If you see someone using this as rationale for Linux not being worthwhile, you might want to point out that tidbit as well...

Comment

yeah, it's non-news since it was never a port, and it's anti-news because CCP are offering some level of support for Wine as a platform: http://wiki.winehq.org/AppsThatSupportWine

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        It's not news. And it's because Cedega can't cut it...WINE/CrossOver Games does a better job of things and they say as much as part of the reason they're dropping it. If you see someone using this as rationale for Linux not being worthwhile, you might want to point out that tidbit as well...
        My bad. I did link to the article though!
        It does make it harder for them to figure out Linux numbers, right?

Comment

It's not news. And it's because Cedega can't cut it...
          It's news if you paid for it thinking your platform would be supported. Cedega users generally know better, though.

Comment

I was planning to try it out but when I heard it uses Cedega (just like the Google Earth failure) I lost my interest.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              It's news if you paid for it thinking your platform would be supported. Cedega users generally know better, though.
              Oh, it is...they're just telling you that WINE/CrossOver Games works better (and they're not paying for Cedega to support you anymore...) and you should be using that if you're playing on Linux.

Comment

Oh, it is...they're just telling you that WINE/CrossOver Games works better (and they're not paying for Cedega to support you anymore...) and you should be using that if you're playing on Linux.
                I think you missed the subtle bitterness caused by experience with "Cedega support." Basically, only the people that have no experience with Cedega as a product didn't see this coming. As a reference see their "port" of the Sims.

Transgaming isn't the greatest of companies, their customer support is terrible, their product is advertised in a misleading manner, and frankly I'm surprised no one has filed more complaints with the BBB about them.

Comment

It's not supposed to be a great solution. After all it's emulation and whoever has at least a bit of experience with console emulation knows how much of a problem that is. And emulating all bugs in Windows is not much easier . So if you use that product in any way it's your problem not theirs. And emulation is anyways not the solution to the problem after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                    It's not supposed to be a great solution. After all it's emulation and whoever has at least a bit of experience with console emulation knows how much of a problem that is. And emulating all bugs in Windows is not much easier . So if you use that product in any way it's your problem not theirs. And emulation is anyways not the solution to the problem after all.
                    Let me get this straight: I pay for a product that is advertised as being able to play certain games out of the box, that is advertised as having customer support, timely updates, etc. and it is my fault when the product doesn't live up to its advertising for supported games, the customer support tickets go ignored, and updates aren't released?

None of these can be blamed on the customer nor can they be blamed on the difficulty of translating windows system calls to linux calls. All of these are the sole fault of Transgaming and their lack of linux support. They are a terrible company.

Comment

Working...
                    X