Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU Runtime Power Management Coming For Linux 3.12

Phoronix: GPU Runtime Power Management Coming For Linux 3.12

The latest DRM subsystem work to be merged for the upcoming Linux 3.12 kernel is runtime power management support to be able to dynamically turn on/off secondary GPUs. This is an especially important feature for those with dual GPU (e.g. Optimus) laptops where the secondary GPU doesn't need to be constantly running...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this happen to work on desktop GPUs too? While I'm intending to switch to radeon as soon as it gets crossfire support, I might just make the switch anyway if I can shut off my 2nd GPU. So far the Heaven benchmark is the only thing I have in linux that uses crossfire. Right now the only compelling reason for me to stick with catalyst at this point is the better performance and better-implemented openGL.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong... so this is only for nouveau, and it also removes vga_switcheroo userspace support?

Comment

To me it sounds like something basic that sooner or later could be used by any driver that is aware of a multi GPU situation. Would be marvellous if that worked on laptops and desktop mainboards.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Hope it is also working with dual AMD/ATI GPUs on laptops. I wasnt sure if they were just talking nvidia or amd as well.

Comment

Does this mean that now nouveau supports optimus?

Comment

Originally posted by abral View Post
              Does this mean that now nouveau supports optimus?
              It's not nouveau that needs to support Optimus, it's X. And it does, as of Xorg 1.14 (with Xrandr 1.4) via PRIME offloading. It works for both AMD and Nvidia hybrid graphics:

Code:
              ~ $ glxinfo | grep render
              direct rendering: Yes
              OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile 
                  GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, 
                  GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, 
              ~ $ DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep render
              direct rendering: Yes
              OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PITCAIRN
                  GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render,
              My question, on this GPU power management, is whether this works for both Nvidia *and* AMD cards. I imagine it would?

Comment

Working...
              X