Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nexenta 3.0 Benchmarked Against PC-BSD, OpenSolaris, Ubuntu

Phoronix: Nexenta 3.0 Benchmarked Against PC-BSD, OpenSolaris, Ubuntu

With the release of Nexenta Core Platform 3.0 a few weeks back we decided to run some benchmarks of this operating system against PC-BSD 8.1, OpenSolaris b134, and Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS. For those unfamiliar with Nexenta Core Platform, it is an operating system that combines the OpenSolaris kernel with a Linux user-land provided by the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS "Hardy Heron" package repository, complete with apt-get support for easy package installation.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu seemed to win this convincingly. Who would have known 'the most user-friendly distro' also had some mean grunt under the hood?

Comment

RMS himself will smythe you for this sentence
      For those unfamiliar with Nexenta Core Platform, it is an operating system that combines the OpenSolaris kernel with a Linux user-land provided by the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS "Hardy Heron" package repository, complete with apt-get support for easy package installation.
      Linux userland!? Linux is a kernel, and has nothing to do with the userland part. The userland is GNU...

I never thought Phoronix would stoop this low

Comment

Originally posted by andrnils View Post

Linux userland!? Linux is a kernel, and has nothing to do with the userland part. The userland is GNU...

Welcome to 2010.

Comment

Didn't notice that at first. Quite shocking, given that the Nexenta webpage also says GNU userland. Furthermore, not even a mention of GNU on the first page. I don't know what to say of the term "Linux userland" - hilarious, sarcastic or low. Often it is said GNU/Linux is truncated to Linux for convenience, but it looks like here GNU is conveniently forgotten . It doesn't matter if RMS is picky about mentioning GNU, at least due credit and respect should be given.

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
            Didn't notice that at first. Quite shocking, given that the Nexenta webpage also says GNU userland. Furthermore, not even a mention of GNU on the first page. I don't know what to say of the term "Linux userland" - hilarious, sarcastic or low. Often it is said GNU/Linux is truncated to Linux for convenience, but it looks like here GNU is conveniently forgotten . It doesn't matter if RMS is picky about mentioning GNU, at least due credit and respect should be given.
            I agree. GNU/Linux shortened to Linux may be a matter of semantics and definitions, but I can't think of any valid definition or stretch of the imagination that would justify calling Nexenta's userland a "Linux" userland. If it were indeed a Linux userland, then point me to the userspace tools of Nexenta that are directly associated with the Linux Foundation's projects, please? Maybe you could argue that Git falls under that banner, but if the compiler, C library, default shell, default editor, and user management suite are all unaffiliated with the Linux project, it's more than just a stretch to call this a "Linux" userland.

The only possible interpretation under which this could have any meaning is this: A Linux userland is the userland that you most commonly get when you run a Linux system. Given the fact that the overwhelming majority of Linux kernels are shipped alongside a GNU userland (hence GNU/Linux), we shorten the term "GNU/Linux userland" to "Linux userland", while indirectly referring to the same concept: take the userland tools shipped with a typical (GNU/)Linux distribution, plant them on top of a Solaris kernel, and there you've got Nexenta's "Linux userland". It's a very, very dubious rationalization, though, because logically speaking, it is simply incorrect.

Comment

Simple typo when banging out a number of articles before leaving.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Simple typo when banging out a number of articles before leaving.
                Hehe, seemd so intentional as there were more than one And calling Ubuntu an OS is also a bit of a stretch I guess, it's distro. Shuttleworth hasn't so far as I know created anything on the OS level, just modified packaging and UI

BTW, are the test programs compiled in 64 or 32 bit mode? I'm not sure that it really should make any difference performance wise ( except perhaps for servers like apache ), but anyway. Has any comparison between linux 32- and 64 bit been done recently on that hardware? I seem to remember that at least on vanilla opensolaris most of the userland is 32bit wheter or not the kernel is 64bit.

Comment

Hehe, seemd so intentional as there were more than one And calling Ubuntu an OS is also a bit of a stretch I guess, it's distro. Shuttleworth hasn't so far as I know created anything on the OS level, just modified packaging and UI
                  When doing find and replace I just saw the introduction mention of it... In the conclusion it said GNU userland originally.

BTW, are the test programs compiled in 64 or 32 bit mode? I'm not sure that it really should make any difference performance wise ( except perhaps for servers like apache ), but anyway. Has any comparison between linux 32- and 64 bit been done recently on that hardware? I seem to remember that at least on vanilla opensolaris most of the userland is 32bit wheter or not the kernel is 64bit.
                  See PTS for details on what test profiles are compiled or using a binary.

Don't recall the last time I did 32-bit vs. 64-bit benchmarks of an OS, but a Phoronix site search would tell.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Theoretically, you could use a SunOS kernel but run everything in an "lx"-branded zone, so you're running Linux ELF binaries. Then it would be technically correct to call it a Linux user-land. Same would be true if you were running the FreeBSD kernel and all your apps in the Linuxulator.

Not that I'm saying that Nexenta does that...

Comment

Working...
                    X