Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA Launches Its Own ARM Development Board

Phoronix: VIA Launches Its Own ARM Development Board

The latest company now offering low-cost ARM development boards for pushing their platform to ARM Linux and Android developers is VIA Technologies. VIA claims their new Springboard platform is "the fast path from prototype to production" and only costs $100 USD, but the specifications aren't all that impressive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

VIA is one of handful of companies with x86 license
    having both architectures in the same package will help them differentiate and sell

Comment

For people who care about the overall price, the MK802II or MK808 are much better than the raspberry pi.

VIA seems pretty doomed to me. They had a chance to really get somewhere 10 years ago but now I think it's too late. The really scary thing is, to me, VIA is to AMD as AMD is to Intel. I'd like VIA to get more success, but their price vs performance ratio is terrible. The only thing I found particularly appealing about their ARM boards is their abundance of host USB ports, good DDR3 memory, and sometimes PCI-e slots. Those are pretty nice features for ARM.

Comment

that crap

a lot better for same price :
        This website is for sale! r0ck.me is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, r0ck.me has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Dual core A7, sata, Gigabit Ethernet, 2go Ram, 89$ etc...

Comment

isn't it strange that the raspberry pi is still the fastest board for the buck you can buy? why can't we see a nice dual core board cortex a9 under the 100$ range? we have cortex a15, it should be a fairly old tech by now...

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
            isn't it strange that the raspberry pi is still the fastest board for the buck you can buy? why can't we see a nice dual core board cortex a9 under the 100$ range? we have cortex a15, it should be a fairly old tech by now...
            No, it isn't. There are PLENTY of dual core cortex A9 boards under $100, including several of the ones mentioned in this topic. RPi is actually one of the WORST values in terms of price vs performance. The fact that it has a linux-functioning GPU is what gives it a slight edge over many of the Mali based systems.

Comment

The manual says it uses an WM8950 Cortex-A9 processor, so it might have an mali-400 GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                The manual says it uses an WM8950 Cortex-A9 processor, so it might have an mali-400 GPU.
                hmm, it is Mali. Unless VIA helps with the lima drivers or expects this device to only run android, they're probably not going to get far. I personally have had terrible luck with Mali chips, on 2 unrelated platforms.

Comment

Gigabit Ethernet would have been a nice touch

Comment

cubieboard2 and the cubietruck look nice.
                    They have a sata port
                    Too bad you gotta order from china to get them, or atleast any US place is out of stock.

I get the feeling that next year we're gonna see some really exciting arm products.

Comment

Working...
                    X