Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R500 Mesa Is Still No Match To An Old Catalyst Driver

Phoronix: R500 Mesa Is Still No Match To An Old Catalyst Driver

We are in the process of conducting a set of tests looking at how the performance of Ubuntu Linux has evolved through their Long-Term Support (LTS) releases beginning with their first 6.06 "Dapper Drake" version followed by Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron", and then the Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" release that will be released by month's end. These benchmarks will look at how the performance of Ubuntu Linux has changed over the past four years, but first we deviated from our original plans to get a look at how the current open-source ATI R500 graphics driver in Ubuntu 10.04 provided by the Mesa stack performs against older proprietary ATI Catalyst drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, this is with Mesa 7.7 and classic r300. For quite some time, the developers focus on r300g, the Gallium3D driver and I think it's more interesting to track the performance of this driver every few months or so. There have been lots and lots of commits already since you benchmarked the driver a few weeks ago It wouldn't surprise me if Mesa 7.9 would default to r300g.

Comment

Maybe there's some bug in mesa or somewhere, because Warsow ran perfect on my hardware at full details - x1600xt, Athlon X2 5000+ in Kubuntu 9.10 + xorg-edgers repository.

Comment

Now, let's test this with a Radeon 9200 (R280) GPU

Comment

for me gallium r300g is already good enough.

i can run ta3d, and also darkplaces with hdr bloom at decent framerate (it used to choke badly on standard mesa).

and i do it on a budget x1300pro (rv515) card. i'd say it's acceptable and stilll going better.

Comment

Maybe a stupid question, but is there any howto explaing how to test the r300g driver? I didn't find any

Comment

I bet ColorTiling isn't enabled on Lucid. This one should improve performance A LOT with r300c and even more with r300g since only the latter has full tiling support.

-Marek

Comment

Recently I upgrade to the latest 10.04 beta and I've noticed that the OSS radeon driver is slower than it was with 9.10 /w xorg-edgers updates. I'm just happy the suspend is working correctly. I know that glxgear is not a bench, but I went from 5500 to 2500.

Comment

Originally posted by dieppe View Post
                  Maybe a stupid question, but is there any howto explaing how to test the r300g driver? I didn't find any
                  in case of r300-r500 cards:

1. build mesa with gallium enabled.
                  2. find where it installed the drivers (in my case /usr/lib/dri)
                  3. remove r300_dri.so
                  4. make a symlink r300_dri.so -> radeong_dri.so

check glxinfo - it should say you have opengl 2.1

Code:
                  (...)
                  OpenGL vendor string: X.Org R300 Project
                  OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on RV515
                  OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel
                  OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
                  (...)

Comment

Originally posted by Eosie View Post
                    I bet ColorTiling isn't enabled on Lucid. This one should improve performance A LOT with r300c and even more with r300g since only the latter has full tiling support.

-Marek
                    How can ColorTiling be enabled on Lucid (Mesa 7.7)?

I've got multiseat with two radeon cards (RV350 and RV370) and I was impressed that upgrade to Lucid didn't break my configuration and glxgears had decent fps on my primary display but now I've found I don't have any acceleration on second head (but dmesg, Xorg.log and glxinfo shows it's enabled) - less than 80-90 FPS (compared to ~3000 on first head) and 1080p resolution eats ~100% of one logical CPU (P4 with HT) even in xscreensaver or any other graphic operation.

dmesg
                    Xorg.0.log
                    Xorg.1.log

Has anyone any clues on how to fix it (without getting back to UMS)?

Comment

Working...
                    X