Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding Those Pesky Hover Ads

Phoronix: Regarding Those Pesky Hover Ads

Over the past few days you may have noticed some rather pesky Adobe ads that keep "hovering" over the main portion of the Phoronix web-page and are impairing the reading of the site's content. We hate these ads just as much as you do! They will be removed.Upon first discovering these intrusive ads, IDG TechNetwork, the company behind the advertising on Phoronix.com, was contacted and it was requested these ads to be removed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not simply have your ads and sponsored links in a sidebar or in a banner area at the top or bottom of the page?

Or if you want to use hovering ads, they should be small.

Agreed, you need ads to help pay for running this site..but make them less intrusive and annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
      Why not simply have your ads and sponsored links in a sidebar or in a banner area at the top or bottom of the page?

Or if you want to use hovering ads, they should be small.

Agreed, you need ads to help pay for running this site..but make them less intrusive and annoying.
      Its what they currently have, and what the article says is that they are still working on identifying and disable the ads that disrespect such constraints.

Btw it should be "Adobe Flash" or just "Flash" not just "Adobe" in '...rather pesky Adobe ads that keep "hovering"...'.

Comment

When I first read this, I thought is was talking about advertisements for Adobe, not ads written with Adobe Flash.

Comment

Is phoronix a non-profit website?

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
            When I first read this, I thought is was talking about advertisements for Adobe, not ads written with Adobe Flash.
            They are ADOBE ads. Ads for Adobe.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
              Is phoronix a non-profit website?
              It's ultimately for-profit, Phoronix is one of my full-time jobs / ventures.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm happy to read that. And I'm also happy, that phoronix don't forget their readers. These layer ads are very stupid. I understand, that phoronix needs ads to keep online, but please no layer ads.

Comment

Another solution is to use an ad-blocker.

Comment

I've read Phoronix for a while, but this article made me do 2 things:
                    1. register in the forums to write this
                    2. disable Adblock Plus on Phoronix

Congratulations on being open about this issue, there are few sites that put the comfort of their readers ahead of immediate advertising income these days. And they all lose more in the long run, and they ruin the business for everyone, since everybody is forced to block all the ads to keep their SANITY intact.

As for Adobe, I think the targeting of the ad was as wrong as it gets, anyway. They are annoying us enough with their terrible flash implementations for Linux already .

Comment

Working...
                    X