Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSolaris 2008.05 Gives A New Face To Solaris

Phoronix: OpenSolaris 2008.05 Gives A New Face To Solaris

In early February, Sun Microsystems had released a second preview release of Project Indiana. For those out of the loop, Project Indiana is the codename for the project led by Ian Murdock at Sun that aims to push OpenSolaris on more desktop and notebook computers by addressing the long-standing usability problems of Solaris. We were far from being impressed by Preview 2 as it hadn't possessed any serious advantages over a GNU/Linux desktop that would interest normal users. However, with the release of OpenSolaris 2008.05 "Project Indiana" coming up in May, Sun Microsystems has today released a final test copy of this operating system. Our initial experience with this new OpenSolaris release is vastly better than what we had encountered less than three months ago when last looking at Project Indiana.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Where can we DL this new test version? I didn't see a link in the article, and I haven't found a newer release on the OpenSolaris site other than Preview2...

Thanks,
    -S

Comment

It's only available via torrent: http://dlc.sun.com/torrents/info/0805rc2a.iso.torrent
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        That's perfect actually. Many thanks!!

-S

Comment

Guess I finally have to admit it's really good phoronix is Linux AND Solaris, rather than just Linux ;-)

Comment

It was a very interesting read... I am looking forward to set up an OpenSolaris 2008.05 system once it's officially released.

How much packages are done by Sun and how much by the community/users? Is it a rolling-release distribution, so you only have to update, or will 2008.11 be a new release with a new repository (like Ubuntu)?

Comment

While OpenOffice isn't included in the LiveCD, it is available from the package repository that went live a few hours after the CD release:
              http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thre...start=0#228889

Comment

Beautiful

It is really very beautiful. I have downloaded it and look forward to testing it (okay, playing with it).

Comment

Way to fail to mention the new boot environments, which are the base of upcoming Snap Upgrade. This is one of the bigger things in this release.

Comment

Maybe I didn't read the article carefully enough, but does it answer the question asked on the first page: Why would I want to use OpenSolaris over a distribution that ships with the GNU/Linux kernel?

Do I really gain anything as a user by choosing OpenSolaris, especially considering the licensing differences between Sun's offering and the GPL stuff that is out there. Sun is trying to make this into a commercial product right? Is that why they're reinventing the wheel? I feel like GNU/Linux does everything OpenSolaris does already, so why bother?

Comment

Working...
                    X