Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D Language Still Showing Promise, Advancements

Phoronix: D Language Still Showing Promise, Advancements

The D programming language continues to advance and show signs of promise as a high-quality computer programming language that may eventually prove competition for C. Last month there was the 2013 D programming language conference where a lot was discussed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will never replace C/C++ until they drop the GC, there's no real argument for GC in a systems language, using C++11 smart pointers feels really good.

Comment

Just as a heads-up, all the conference videos can also be found on YouTube here:

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      Will never replace C/C++ until they drop the GC, there's no real argument for GC in a systems language, using C++11 smart pointers feels really good.
      Nope. GC can actually be more efficient than manual memory management. And those who absolutely must go around it, it's easy to either turn it off or simply avoid using functions that invoke it. See this presentation for more information on the subject:
      This talk is part of the D Programming Language Conference, May 1-3 2013, Menlo Park, CA. Slides available at http://dconf.org/2013/talks/lucarella.pdf. For ...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Nope. GC can actually be more efficient than manual memory management.
        no
        And those who absolutely must go around it, it's easy to either turn it off
        Enjoy not being able to use the standard library.

Comment

no
          Yes. Have you looked at the presentation?

Enjoy not being able to use the standard library.
          Not all standard library functions invoke it; and whenever you need to use something that does invoke it, and you do that sparingly, the GC won't slow you down. Again, refer to the presentations. Here they are using D in a game engine by avoiding GC. Here they are using D in a performance-critical environment and still have the GC enabled.

Comment

Well, GC can be more efficient than manual memory management, if the manual management is badly implemented .

D is more an alternative to C++ than to C, due to its high complexity and similar features. On the other hand, Go can be viewed as a better C (possibly slower and not as versatile, but with great improvements and simplicity.)

Comment

There is also Rust, which is exactly like D (C ABI compatible, focus on productivity and clarity, neat syntax) except it uses manual memory management if you really want it.

I always see D as the performance nuts Java or C# - you get native performance and garbage collection, better features (function pointers / references, lambdas, and contracts are wonderful, global scope, and C# delegates don't compare) and I see Rust as the functional programmers C++ (syntax brevity, less boilerplate, only downsides are that it carries over some syntax pitfalls).

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                Well, GC can be more efficient than manual memory management, if the manual management is badly implemented .

D is more an alternative to C++ than to C, due to its high complexity and similar features. On the other hand, Go can be viewed as a better C (possibly slower and not as versatile, but with great improvements and simplicity.)
                The problem with GC is not speed, but lack of control, IMHO. I want to know when things get collected, for low level programming. So, the smart pointer idea works better than GC for that type of work, I think

I agree that D compares with C++, not C. I was surprised when I saw Michael's article.

Go, sure, it is interesting. I don't think it is a C replacement, but it might become a low level language of interest for many applications. What I have in mind is that easy multithreading will become more and more relevant. Where I work, we are using 24 virtual processors in our workstations. I can see 100 arm cores running desktops in a few years. Giving people a language that is 20% slower _per_ core, but allows them to easily distribute the code to a 100 threads, hell, isn't that sweet!

Comment

Another solution for the pointer, garbage collection problem is Automated Reference Counting:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat...rence_Counting
                  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...-pros-and-cons
                  Seems very promising, next big thing in programming languages.

Love the concept of ranges and slices in D.
                  Although using a syntax with open interval for the upper limit comes over a little non-intuitive and strange to me.

http://dlang.org/d-array-article.html

(Even saw an example that needed to do extra calculations because it was one less than the actual end.
                  The choice of how ranges work could have been better.)
                  Last edited by plonoma; 19 June 2013, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                    Another solution for the pointer, garbage collection problem is Automated Reference Counting:
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat...rence_Counting
                    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...-pros-and-cons
                    Seems very promising.

Love the concept of ranges in D.
                    Although using a syntax that tells not to include the number that says where to stop comes over a little non-intuitive and strange to me.
                    (Even saw an example that needed to do extra calculations because it was one less than the actual end. The choice of how ranges work could have been better.)
                    You mean the ARC that got added in C++11 in the form of Smart Pointers, Shared Pointers and Widgets? :P
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X