Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Brief Look At Yoper 2009

Phoronix: A Brief Look At Yoper 2009

Just days after Gentoo resurrected itself with a new LiveDVD release in celebration of its 10th birthday, the developers behind the Yoper Linux distribution have come around with a new development release of its own. Yoper dates back to 2003, and one of their goals is to be the fastest out-of-the-box Linux distribution, but there has not been a new stable release in 28 months and it is not on a rolling release cycle like Gentoo or Arch. The new release for this distribution is Yoper 2009 Beta 1 "Dresden" and ships with all of the latest Linux packages and offers a new installer and various other improvements. Yoper also remains one of the few distributions shipping with a Zen-powered kernel, and on top of that, they even offer a kernel with the BFS scheduler.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they want to have the fastest distro, they shouldn't neglect the x86_64 architecture. Istead, it should be their first choice.

Comment

Ugliest KDE4 i've ever seen.
      Slightly more on topic: Never heard of this distro before.

Comment

gentoo resurrected itself (...)
        yeah, right. maybe from the public standpoint.

there are regular autobuilds of stages and install media every few days, you know. it's just that that one was more carefully tested and prepared for 10th anniversary. and there was a lot of noise around it, so outsiders actually noticed.

http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases...s/current-iso/ (x86 example)
        Last edited by yoshi314; 09 October 2009, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Gentoo was never really dead, it just doesn't follow the Microsoft development model of shovelling broken, unfinished crap out to a deadline every few months like some more heavily marketed distros.

Comment

Yeah, Gentoo has just slow down speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
              yeah, right. maybe from the public standpoint.

there are regular autobuilds of stages and install media every few days, you know. it's just that that one was more carefully tested and prepared for 10th anniversary. and there was a lot of noise around it, so outsiders actually noticed.

http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases...s/current-iso/ (x86 example)
              Glad I wasn't the only one put off by that remark. When I read it, all I could think to myself was "huh, I didn't know they died. Especially since I installed it a mere three months back on one of my rigs."

Comment

@jeffro-tull, Ant P., and yoshi314:

Thanks, the last three of you. That makes me, your resident Gentoo Linux developer, feel all warm and tingly. You said everything I wanted to say without me needing to say it. You all hit the nail on the head, so give yourselves a pat on the back.

Shame on Michael for making those kinds of statements. Apparently he falls into the trap of thinking "if they aren't making some huge hoopla every three months for a quartlerly point release, it's a dead distro."

Please. Who else does weekly releases? Anyone? If there are any other distros that make weekly releases, the list is vanishingly small. It's smallminded to assume that our weekly Gentoo releases "don't count as real releases" or some such BS.
                Last edited by nightmorph; 09 October 2009, 10:40 PM.

Comment

i think that's because everybody thinks that install cd/dvd defines the distribution. as in "new install disk = new version"

which, in case of gentoo, is totally false. mostly because you do not need gentoo livecd/dvd to install it.

any livecd/dvd/usb/installed distro that has kernel 2.6, chroot command and network working will do.
                  Last edited by yoshi314; 10 October 2009, 03:51 AM.

Comment

As Naib in these forums
                    You either love or hate gentoo.
                    If you don't love it, you misunderstand it's ways. Fortunately for me I LOVE it

Comment

Working...
                    X