Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Counter-Strike Source/wine/fglrx discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter-Strike Source/wine/fglrx discussion.

Running the latest wine (0.9.49) and the latest fglrx (8.42), I can finally run counter-strike source! There seemed to be a bug in earlier wine editions.

A few tips:
    • I can't say for sure, but I think setting the shader detail lower gives the most noticeable speed-up
    • ALSA seems to work for audio, not OSS
    • Open up the registry editor ($ regedit) and browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D. Try messing with the two REG_SZ (string) values UseGLSL and VideoMemorySize. Setting VideoMemorySize to 128 (I have a mobility X1400 128MB) stopped a DirectX error inside of CSS. Setting UseGLSL to enabled is supposed to increase graphical quality, though it looks similar to me.

I only get about 20 fps, down to 10 when the action gets heavy. But it's relatively stable! Oh, and I used to get around 50 frames per second in Windows. Who knows who the culprit is...?

Who else has tried CSS? Any stories?

Since Wine 0.9.49 that you are using, "UseGLSL" is not needed anymore. It is activated by default.

I have tested CSS every now and then from Wine 0.9.10 until 0.9.47 (not the newer ones yet...) and I always get a crash at startup. I've tried OSS, Alsa, the Alsa fix, registry entries and some more.

If you could tell me everything you've done, I would be pleased.

CS 1.6 for example works like a charm with maximum performance without having to do anything.

But before I try playing CSS for the next time, I'll wait until Sidux 2007-04 releases (they're only waiting for the Xserver 1.4.1).

Comment

If you need some extra frames in Half-Life 2 or Counter Strike Source and don't care too much about visual quality, add this to the properties of your Counter-Strike Source by right clicking the game in Steam and properties and set launch options:

Code:
      -nojoy -noipx -dxlevel 70
      You can also add a -heapsize option too, its similar to com_hunkmegs in Quake 3. If you have 512mb of ram, set -heapsize 384000 or 768000 for 1 GB systems.

Basically just set it around 3/4 of your ram. Probably won't make a huge difference either way but it should smooth out the gameplay a little if you're having any stuttering. Also, -nojoy and -noipx, those were used in 1.6, however they do work in Source as well. They should free up a very small amount of ram, but so it can't hurt anyway.

And -dxlevel 70 that is the big one here, especially if you have a older video card or are desperate for framerate. It won't look awful, just remember after you put the -dxlevel 70 in your launch options, after you launch the game once with that parameter make sure you quit and remove -dxlevel 70 from the launch options. Reason why is because it'll keep resetting your graphic settings in Counter Strike Source if you don't. Since I'm sure you'll want to customize them anyway. Another thing -dxlevel 70 does is removes all the pixel shaders.

Hope I helped.
      Last edited by Malikith; 18 November 2007, 11:10 AM.

Comment

d2kx, I was having the same problem too. 0.9.49 is the first version that works.

Malikith, thanks for the -noipx and -nojoy tips. I'll try'em and see.

More observations:
        The -dxlevel commands don't even seem to affect the performance at all, and also the xorg.conf setting "UseFastTLS" does not affect stability, or so it seems. So, what kind of performance is everyone else getting?

Comment

If Wine 0.9.49 works I will give it a try very soon! But I think I still wait for the Xserver 1.4.1 and then set up a new system. Maybe next friday with Wine 0.9.50 + fglrx 8.43?

Comment

Anyone got CS:S working with a HD2600?

I seem to get crashes on CS:S TF2 and HL2 - after the valve video, the blurred image with loading screen comes up and it dies.

I've submitted a bug to the wine bugzilla (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10487) but the maintainer seems to believe its a driver prob - I suppose fixing the memory leaks found in 8.42 should do the trick. Wine 0.9.50 should correct an ATI mem detection typo (according to current GIT) which might help.

I'm just wondering when if the fixes to all these mem leaks will come - 8.44?
            Last edited by hmmm; 18 November 2007, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hmmm View Post
              Anyone got CS:S working with a HD2600?

I seem to get crashes on CS:S TF2 and HL2 - after the valve video, the blurred image with loading screen comes up and it dies.

I've submitted a bug to the wine bugzilla (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10487) but the maintainer seems to believe its a driver prob - I suppose fixing the memory leaks found in 8.42 should do the trick. Wine 0.9.50 should correct an ATI mem detection typo (according to current GIT) which might help.

I'm just wondering when if the fixes to all these mem leaks will come - 8.44?
              Maybe even 8.43 if we're lucky. You can try and skip the in game video by adding a -novid command in the properties of whatever game you're running in Steam. I doubt it'll stop the crashing though. It may also be resolution related so you could try setting your resolution before launching the game, for instance, 1280x1024 would be -width 1280 -height 1024 . Maybe it'll work, but I doubt it will, worth a shot though.

Comment

Working...
              X