ATI mobility radeon hd 5730 driver...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI mobility radeon hd 5730 driver...

Has anyone seen anything about when/where a driver that works with the ATI mobility radeon hd 5730 graphics device will be available?

At this point, I could care less about any acceleration - I just want to get the native 1600x800 resolution for my laptop's screen. If anyone can point me in the right direction to accomplish this, that would be a great help.

I honestly can't believe a company would sell a brand new product, and yet provide absolutely zero driver support from their own website. Just check their website and try to find any drivers for the mobility radeon of any 5xxx version (for notebooks). It isn't even available for Windows - instead you get a list of links to companies that make laptops.

Originally posted by mikeuw View Post
    I honestly can't believe a company would sell a brand new product, and yet provide absolutely zero driver support from their own website. Just check their website and try to find any drivers for the mobility radeon of any 5xxx version (for notebooks). It isn't even available for Windows - instead you get a list of links to companies that make laptops.
    That's because you're not an ATI customer. You're a customer of whatever vendor sold you the product.

That's the big difference between NV and ATI when it comes to product support. NV supports their GPUs and makes (sometimes non-existent) vendor support irrelevant. ATI, on the other hand, wants you to get support from your vendor. If you want Linux on your laptop in combination with an ATI video card then you should pressure the laptop maker to provide you with such a product.

After the laughter subsides that is.

Comment

Well, that may be how AMD/ATI wants to do things, but that doesn't change the fact that they made the hardware, and IMHO, they should therefore be able to support it. But whatever...

Anyway...I've got native resolution working after a bit of monkeying around and installing the fglrx drivers. Now I've got the "AMD Unspported hardware" watermark - any clue how to remove this? I've tried the solution here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...&postcount=265, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Does it matter what package I extract the control and signature file from?

Comment

Did you try 10-2?

Comment

Yeah...it still gives me the watermark.

As an added bonus, as soon as I enter my password to login to kde, the kde initialization splash freezes. The system doesn't crash though, so I'm able to switch to a terminal to reset things and reboot.

Comment

Add to that, the colour depth is much lower once fglrx is enabled. Nothing in the Xorg log or whatever seems to indicate that anything but 24-bit depth is being used. But the default KDE background looks quite smooth in the vesa driver, while the fglrx makes what should be smooth gradient colours look like thick bands of different shades.

Would be of any use to post my Xorg logs here?

Comment

Add to that, the colour depth is much lower once fglrx is enabled. Nothing in the Xorg log or whatever seems to indicate that anything but 24-bit depth is being used. But the default KDE background looks quite smooth in the vesa driver, while the fglrx makes what should be smooth gradient colours look like thick bands of different shades.
              i'm using my 5650 with 10.1. I suppose it will work better with kde. 10.2 seems to break things...even if they were broken to some extent before...anyway. i already reverted to 10.1.

Comment

Originally posted by krionius View Post
                i'm using my 5650 with 10.1. I suppose it will work better with kde. 10.2 seems to break things...even if they were broken to some extent before...anyway. i already reverted to 10.1.
                Right, I'm at the same point as you...using 10.1. It works...quite well so far (with minimal testing of desktop effects etc.). I'd just like to get rid of the watermark...seems kind of redundant to have a message saying that the ATI graphics is unsupported...since that seems to be the experience I've had with all ATI graphics devices I've had to work with (this is my fourth...I was foolish enough to think things were better these days).

Comment

It works...quite well so far (with minimal testing of desktop effects etc.).
                  Note that was in reference to general performance, but it only counts as long as you overlook the lack of colour depth...and now I'm seeing horizontal tearing in full-screen video. :/

Comment

Hi Mikeuw.

I recently bought a notebook with the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 gfx card. I'm having same issues as you regarding the 10.1 and 10.2 drivers. Silly watermark. Have you solved this issue? Or are you living with the watermark?

Thanks,
                    Martin

Note that was in reference to general performance, but it only counts as long as you overlook the lack of colour depth...and now I'm seeing horizontal tearing in full-screen video. :/

Comment

Working...
                    X