Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Poulsbo Driver Running On Fedora

Phoronix: Intel Poulsbo Driver Running On Fedora

While Intel can be applauded for their open-source work on the xf86-video-intel driver and related components of their Linux driver stack that supports their mainline GMA integrated graphics processors, the driver for their GMA 500 found in select netbooks is a bloody mess. There are binary-only bits within the Poulsbo driver stack, their DDX module is developed outside of the X.Org community and can be hard to even find the driver's package, and it just does not work well.There was even a Poulsbo DRM module that was proposed for integration into the mainline Linux kernel, but that component was denied for inclusion at this time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, but a real free driver would be way better.

Comment

Don't forget that the code for hardware accelerated video decoding for Poulsbo is also missing

...even though the Poulsbo hardware supports H.264, WMV9, and VC-1 decoding.

Comment

gamester17: no, it isn't. That bit is present in my build of the Ubuntu driver. I just haven't tested it yet because I haven't got around to building the patched mplayer that *supports* the video playback acceleration (you need support both in the driver and the video player application). According to the Ubuntu forums, the video playback acceleration does work very well once you get the right bits installed.

bugmenot: indeed it would, but I'm a packager not a coder, so this is the best I can do :\ some coders are working on an open driver.

Comment

Is it worth noting that this article does not seem to mention that it is working for Ubuntu Jaunty? It seems odd to me, to say that it was made to work for Fedora when they have never said that it was working for Ubuntu in the first place.

@AdamW aren't the packages for Jaunty what you used for your Fedora packages?

Comment

yep, indeed they are.

Comment

Working...
            X