Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test Automation With PTS, OpenBenchmarking.org

Phoronix: Test Automation With PTS, OpenBenchmarking.org

Tonight at the Ubuntu Developer Summit I'm talking about the Phoronix Test Suite and OpenBenchmarking.org. Here's some of my notes for those unable to make it or were able to attend but would like additional information...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Charts

Charts are unreadable when comparing more than 2 or 3 things because the colors all look similar.

Intel = blue
    AMD = red
    Nvidia = green

Make color represent the company by their trademark color.

Make port to Plan 9 from Bell Labs.
    Make GUI and self-hosted PHP server via functionality in PHP 5.4.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Charts are unreadable when comparing more than 2 or 3 things because the colors all look similar.

Intel = blue
      AMD = red
      Nvidia = green

Make color represent the company by their trademark color.
      I don't want a static database of colors hard-coded into PTS, that's the problem. And in terms of why some colors are turning out close to eachother is there's a flaw in the color shifting/picking algorithm that no one has yet figured out how to improve.

Make GUI and self-hosted PHP server via functionality in PHP 5.4.
      There is already something similar to this in-development that I'll be announcing soon.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I don't want a static database of colors hard-coded into PTS, that's the problem. And in terms of why some colors are turning out close to eachother is there's a flaw in the color shifting/picking algorithm that no one has yet figured out how to improve.
        Usually I don't hardcode stuff either, because it is often considered bad code practice.
        I think the algorithm needs to be improved, but also a load an external hardcoded configuration files, because some colors are strongely assiocated with certain brands.

HSL could be used to pick a color, it is much easier to work programatically with HSL than it is with RGB.

Comment

Usually I don't hardcode stuff either, because it is often considered bad code practice.
          I think the algorithm needs to be improved, but also a load an external hardcoded configuration files, because some colors are strongely assiocated with certain brands.

HSL could be used to pick a color, it is much easier to work programatically with HSL than it is with RGB.
          I already convert it to HSL but something still isn't right. Any patches are welcome, it's simple in ~ phoronix-test-suite/pts-core/objects/pts_Graph/pts_Graph.php from 4.0/Git.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by uid313
            We can rotate the hue 360 degrees. However rotating it by 1 degree would not provide enough visual distinction, so we would have to increase it by more than so.

If we benchmark 4 items, we can use 360 / 4 and hence the hue gets rotated by 90 degrees.
            But if we have 50 items we benchmark, then 360 / 50 = 7.2 which would not be a hue leap enough to provide visual distinction, so at one point we would have to resort to also changing the color intensity.

But rotating by 45 degrees we could fit 8 hues in 360 degrees. This would be visuablly distinctive. If we need to benchmark more than 8 items, we change the intensity and keep on rotating the hue.

PHP Code:
            $items_to_benchmark 16;
            $h 0;
            $s 100;
            $l 50;

if (
            $items_to_benchmark 8) {

$increase_hue_by = (int)(360 $items_to_benchmark);
            } else {

$increase_hue_by 45;
            }

for (
            $i=0$i<$items_to_benchmark$i++) {
              if (
            $h == 360) {

$s -= 33;

$l += 10;
              }

$color 'hsl(' $h ',' $s '%,' $l '%)':

$h += $increase_hue_by

The issue in that design though is not always knowing necessarily (or at least how it's exposed now) how many colors/items are needed prior to declaring the first color. Right now it already shifts after a defined number of times.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
            X