Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D Support For Haiku Operating System

Phoronix: Gallium3D Support For Haiku Operating System

Gallium3D, the graphics driver architecture created by Tungsten Graphics designed to overhaul graphics drivers on Linux and other operating systems, has caused quite a stir lately. Gallium3D this year alone has picked up support for features like OpenGL ES, OpenCL, network debugging support, and many other prominent changes, albeit the GPU hardware drivers are still lacking...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Initial Gallium3D support was added to Haiku a while ago and AFAIK is being merged over time.

Mesa has been included in the Haiku tree for some time - and now that Gallium3D has been in development, it is now looking to be a most perfect fit for the project! It's great to think we could have hardware accelerated OpenGL 3.2 or newer support on Haiku maybe within a year or two. With an uprated game kit and some nice development tools, it would make a very nice gaming platform.

Comment

Rest of Gallium3D port to Haiku is in Haiku SVN, only software renderer is available for now
      http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haik...add-ons/opengl

Comment

Also screenshot from first testrun

Comment

Haiku has had a softpipe port of Gallium3d for a good while

I'm not sure that the hardware drivers are there though

here is the original git repo http://github.com/aljen/haiku-opengl/tree/master

I think development on it might be going straight into haiku svn now though

Comment

What?! No... fscking... way!

The last time I looked at Haiku they just managed to be self-contained or something (can compile itself from their own OS).

This rocks How's the wireless network support? I might actually give this OS a go ^^,

Comment

Sorry but I don't get it. Why is Haiku still being developed? Has BeOS something Linux doesn't? It looks like a pure waste of resources to me...

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                Sorry but I don't get it. Why is Haiku still being developed? Has BeOS something Linux doesn't? It looks like a pure waste of resources to me...
                Haiku is meant to be super fast, sleek and smooth because it's solely developped as a desktop OS. Linux is a big, fits everything jungle that needs to be tied together with ugly hack in distro's like Ubuntu, and is not really optimised for desktop use. Haiku, doesn't have these problems.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                  Originally posted by Haiku FAQ
                  Why not Linux?

Linux-based distributions are a collection of numerous software that do not necessarily follow the same development guidelines and/or goals. This lack of overall vision often results in increased complexity, insufficient integration, and sometimes inefficient solutions, making the use of your computer more complicated than it should actually be.
                  Seems reasonable to me.

Comment

haiku -with all the work that has been done in open source so far- seems to have potential

as long as they port (to the native toolkit) what works well (ie Firefox Thunderbird OOo) it can be a viable alternative

quality will be the key to success and as long as they keep the million crap apps that don't work away they will have no problem

Comment

Working...
                    X