Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel 2.20.1 X.Org Driver Closes Critical Bugs

Phoronix: Intel 2.20.1 X.Org Driver Closes Critical Bugs

With a week having passed since the release of xf86-video-intel 2.20, Chris Wilson has today issued the driver's first point release to take care of some critical bugs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Alright, so i810 doesn't work with XAA/UXA/EXA anymore...

Does GLAMOR impose any requirements on DRI1/2? Does it require KMS (I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong)? It's looking from glamor_init like only an existing OpenGL context is required.

I see from the source of glamor that it requires OpenGL 1.3 or higher, which I'm not sure if the i810 supports. I thought it supported 1.3/1.4 in Mesa, but maybe I'm wrong... My 810 hardware is currently across town with a friend, so I can't check.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      Alright, so i810 doesn't work with XAA/UXA/EXA anymore...

Does GLAMOR impose any requirements on DRI1/2? Does it require KMS (I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong)? It's looking from glamor_init like only an existing OpenGL context is required.

I see from the source of glamor that it requires OpenGL 1.3 or higher, which I'm not sure if the i810 supports. I thought it supported 1.3/1.4 in Mesa, but maybe I'm wrong... My 810 hardware is currently across town with a friend, so I can't check.
      Further thought: I'll see if I get that laptop back from that friend of mine sometime. If so, I'll take a shot at getting the 810 DRI1 driver and GLAMOR working together. If it works (and works better than NoAccel), then maybe it'd be worth using that when the GLAMOR library is installed and the current IGP doesn't support SNA/UXA, but does support GL 1.3+.

Comment

Further thought: I'll see if I get that laptop back from that friend of mine sometime. If so, I'll take a shot at getting the 810 DRI1 driver and GLAMOR working together. If it works (and works better than NoAccel), then maybe it'd be worth using that when the GLAMOR library is installed and the current IGP doesn't support SNA/UXA, but does support GL 1.3+.
        You're likely to be better served by plugging it into SNA, with a couple of modifications it can reuse the entire gen2 code and that will give you better performance than XAA and even accelerate Render. The caveat is that it requires KMS/GEM for i810... I've been on the lookout for such a laptop in order to do the port myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
          You're likely to be better served by plugging it into SNA, with a couple of modifications it can reuse the entire gen2 code and that will give you better performance than XAA and even accelerate Render. The caveat is that it requires KMS/GEM for i810... I've been on the lookout for such a laptop in order to do the port myself.
          The laptop in question is an old Inspiron (possibly an Inspiron 1100 based on an image search, which might have had a 845G). If it would help any, I'll ship it to you if I ever get it back (I've got too many laptops as it is).

Comment

The laptop in question is an old Inspiron (possibly an Inspiron 1100 based on an image search, which might have had a 845G).
            Hmm, an Inspiron 1100 would definitely have an 845g which is "supported" already. The GMCH is so poor on that chipset that even uncached writes to memory are incoherent with reads from the GPU command stream. (Even if we ignore the known errata with the GPU TLB caches being broken.) I have such a beast which I turn on every once in a while and try to see I can find someway around the GPU eating itself.

If you find yourself with a spare i810 or i815 I will gladly take it off your hands. Even a model number so that I have something definite to trawl ebay for...

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
              Hmm, an Inspiron 1100 would definitely have an 845g which is "supported" already. The GMCH is so poor on that chipset that even uncached writes to memory are incoherent with reads from the GPU command stream. (Even if we ignore the known errata with the GPU TLB caches being broken.) I have such a beast which I turn on every once in a while and try to see I can find someway around the GPU eating itself.

If you find yourself with a spare i810 or i815 I will gladly take it off your hands. Even a model number so that I have something definite to trawl ebay for...
              I finally remembered why I thought I had an i810 laying around. I just handed my Intel D810EMO mATX motherboard over for recycling a week or two ago. It was an i810-based micro-ATX motherboard that used a P3 processor which I had shoe-horned into a gutted 8-bit NES case (with internal HD + Power supply, and the power/reset buttons connected to the motherboard pins for same).

I figured that if I wanted to get my NES-based system working again, an Atom + ITX would work better and have less overheating issues, especially if I use an external power brick..

Comment

It was an i810-based micro-ATX motherboard that used a P3 processor which I had shoe-horned into a gutted 8-bit NES case (with internal HD + Power supply, and the power/reset buttons connected to the motherboard pins for same).
                Are you me? This is eerily familiar, stuffing an i810 + p3 in a nes. Did you too change the power led for a blue one and connect the native nes controllers?

Comment

Working...
                X