SSD purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD purchase

I'm thinking about finally start to get my feet wet with SSD storage. My current drive is a Seagate 2TB SATAIII that I plan to use for all my data. I don't want something big (120/128GB seems to be the sweet spot). It just has to be fast and reliable (and saving a few $$ is welcomed too). Main OS are of course Linux distros. I found this options:

Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB
    ADATA SX900 128GB
    Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB

All of them are within my budget. The ADATA is the cheapest, but I have always had bad experiences with ADATA memory and external drives. Is there a significant difference between the regular Neutron and the GTX? The HyperX is the priciest one, but Kingston stuff is always overpriced over here.

Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB
    ADATA SX900 128GB

= questionable SandForce controller who have caused lots of trouble in the past

Corsair Neutron 128GB

= questionable LAMD controller which no one uses anymore

Personally I would go with something really reliable and trusted, not to be disappointed when it dies or causes firmware problems in the future. My recommendation (I have been using both, and had a 2010 Intel SSD before):

Samsung SSD 840 Evo Series 120GB
    Crucial M500 SSD 120GB

Comment

I'll see if I can get those over here.

Comment

Alright, found a place that has some more options.

PNY XLR8
        Samsung 840 EVO

Comment

I find this report helpful in planning hardware purchases: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/911-7/ssd.html

Based on that, Samsung or Intel look like good choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
            I'm thinking about finally start to get my feet wet with SSD storage. My current drive is a Seagate 2TB SATAIII that I plan to use for all my data. I don't want something big (120/128GB seems to be the sweet spot). It just has to be fast and reliable (and saving a few $$ is welcomed too). Main OS are of course Linux distros. I found this options:

Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB
            ADATA SX900 128GB
            Corsair Neutron 128GB

All of them are within my budget. The ADATA is the cheapest, but I have always had bad experiences with ADATA memory and external drives. Is there a significant difference between the regular Neutron and the GTX? The HyperX is the priciest one, but Kingston stuff is always overpriced over here.
            I asked about SSDs (not here) recently and was recommended Samsung 840 Pro 128g and/or the Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB.

Comment

You may want to take a look on Plextor M5 Pro: Marvell Controller and Toshiba NAND Flash.

Plextor M5 Pro

$117.79 on Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by alexcortes View Post
                You may want to take a look on Plextor M5 Pro: Marvell Controller and Toshiba NAND Flash.

Plextor M5 Pro

$117.79 on Amazon
                +1
                Very fast and works well for me.

Comment

Working...
                X