Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 vs. 14.04 LTS Benchmarks On Amazon's EC2 Cloud

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 vs. 14.04 LTS Benchmarks On Amazon's EC2 Cloud

Our latest benchmarks of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in its current development form come from testing it on Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

if i can ask, what is the cloud? is like a virtual private server?

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
      It's water vapour.

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
        Cloud is basically a buzzword that encompasses everything from web based services (googledocs, and such) to remote file storage, to things like VPSes, if it's something that's hosted on someone elses' server that you don't really have any control over then that's basically cloud. Now on the other paw people who push for the cloud (as opposed to the parts that make up the buzzword) have this inane idea that everything should be done on someone elses' server (with all of your data being hosted there as well) and that all you have is this terminal that connects to the cloud (e.g. a Chromebook).

I'm personally rather hoping that one day these cloud nuts finally wake up and realize that turning the web browser into what amounts to it's own operating system was an idiotic concept particularly when compounded by the fact that said os only works with poorly designed loose standards, and they're basically just creating another Xorg.. this time with browsers...

Comment

These numbers aren't necessarily comparable, since they probably weren't on the same instance (neighboring instances in EC2 can often affect performance). I'd be curious to see a comparison of AWS performance between 12.04 and 14.04 (after its release) by doing a dist upgrade though (make sure it only restarts, and doesn't stop+start).

Comment

Working...
          X