Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mono Developers Renew Their Love For Microsoft

Phoronix: Mono Developers Renew Their Love For Microsoft

Xamarin, the company driving the development of the Mono open-source .NET framework that is generally loved or hated by Phoronix readers, has announced a new partnership with Microsoft...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why would anyone not want to have mono on Linux?

Comment

When MSIL/C# was announced I thought it would be the future. A pseudo machine code, modern language layers, come C++ power. Well it could have been. The problem was Microsoft kept it in doors. They did not produce any solution for Linux or Apple or other operating system They didn't even make Silverlight for Firefox. These decisions sealed MSIL fate. Mono Project tried to solve the problem but they've always been too far behind, and rarely 1 to 1 compatible. I can't see MSIL/C# ever succeeding mainstream without Mono Project being given head to head status with CSharp releases.

Consider now LLVM.

Comment

Originally posted by Filar View Post
        Why would anyone not want to have mono on Linux?
        Because it broke the customs of Linux Users and freedom. Mono was tethered to Microsoft indirectly. If Mono was used, then something completely open and free may not. Also initially people were suspicious with the licensing but Microsoft cleared that up with public announcements.

Comment

Doing some checks. Xamarin is a wrapper-module that can produce Android(Java), Microsoft, and iOS7 apps. It has components for Visual Studio or you can use their IDE that is only available for Apple and Microsoft. If you use their Apple IDE you need Mono Project which would limit the scope of abilities compared to using Microsoft Solutions. There is no Linux support other than maybe trying to get it running in Wine which maybe a nightmare.

Xamarin is free to individuals, but it's a crippled version. Cripples in size of apps you can produce and other feature limits.

I think Xamarin maybe a solution for Windows Surface developers to allow them to deploy to Android and Apple. I don't see the the verse happening. Maybe some Apple Users will use Xamarin to get their apps to Android.

Comment

This forum's edit timeout sucks.

Another point is Mono Development IDE can also be used to make Android apps.

Comment

Mono Developers Renew Their Love For Microsoft

"Mono Developers Renew Their Love For Microsoft"
              -- No... so wrong... Yes I "LOVE" C# for very good reasons. I really like .NET and Mono because I can run my baby C# on every device I can think of.

In no way do I love MS or Xamarian. While a lot of time and money is needed to develop Xamarian/Mono with iOS/Android API wrappers and debuggers, the fact that you need to buy a Xamarian licence to compile your own version of Mono for iOS and Android without these special features is my only complaint. While part of the problem is GPL itself when it comes to iOS...

Comment

what...

There is no Linux support other than maybe trying to get it running in Wine which maybe a nightmare.
                Mono runs on Linux... did you look up anything before posting?

Comment

Originally posted by zezba9000 View Post
                  Mono runs on Linux... did you look up anything before posting?
                  Read _his_ post first. Is he taking about mono? No.
                  Xamarin Studio and Xamarin.Android do not support linux. Obviously Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Mac and the visual studio plugin don't support linux either.
                  Target all platforms with a single, shared codebase for Android, iOS, and Windows. Dowload our free IDEs on OS X and Windows with Xamarin.

Comment

Just to edit my post above; Xamarin.Android _might_ support linux, since I think it works with monodevelop as well. But not sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X