Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases Cayman Documentation, Open Driver Is Close

Phoronix: AMD Releases Cayman Documentation, Open Driver Is Close

AMD has put out their first public documentation concerning their Radeon HD 6900 "Cayman" series graphics processors. This 492 page document describes the Cayman instruction set architecture. We have also received an update at Phoronix from AMD concerning the Radeon HD 6900 series open-source support under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And that is why you don't buy nVidia. Can't wait for my AMD Fusion-powered Lenovo ThinkPad X120e to ship shortly.

Comment

Wow, props to AMD.

Comment

March 05, 2009

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by TheArticleAbove
        Will this move generate greater benefits within the open-source ATI stack? It does not appear AMD will be ramping up on their open-source efforts. In fact, just this week the RadeonHD driver took a serious blow as one of the three Novell developers that were responsible for its development was laid off. The remaining developers are also facing shorter work hours.
        *** VERSUS ***

Download the English (US) Linux Display Driver Version 96.43.19 for Linux 64-bit systems. Released 2010.11.16

This is why you should buy:

Comment

gtfo with nvidia.. they have crap chips.. heat heat heat heat.. no. no more heat.. better to take radeon, radeon have poor drivers.. but... no.. i cant take nvidia, sorry

Comment

Let's all look at nvidia's open source efforts.....
            *tumbleweed*

Right, now let's get back on topic discussing the awesome work of AMD releasing hardware specs (or, ISA specs as it may be).

Comment

Isn't Cayman just Barts with more shaders? They're both 6xxx series, Northern Islands. The driver support shouldn't be that hard unless I'm missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by Game_boy View Post
                Isn't Cayman just Barts with more shaders? They're both 6xxx series, Northern Islands. The driver support shouldn't be that hard unless I'm missing something.
                The 69xx Cayman is a big change from 68xx and before. It was a shader redesign IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Game_boy View Post
                  Nope. The architecture behind is kinda different. Shader processors are 4-way (cayman) instead of 5-way (barts), and they are also organized differently.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                    Let's all look at nvidia's open source efforts.....
                    *tumbleweed*
                    From my perspective it's not entirely that black and white.

Granted, in the last two decades I've never owned any Nvidia GPU exactly because they refuse to support open source drivers. But this doesn't mean that Nvidia wouldn't support open source in other areas.

Why is it that using ATI/AMD cards and Linux I have to use Nvidia's texture tools to compress S3TC textures? Because these texture tools are MIT-licensed open source, while ATI/AMD's ATI_Compress library and Compressonator are closed source, and worse, they're Windows only.

Comment

Working...
                    X