Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.04 / Radeon HD 4890 / Very slow

Hi,

Im using a ATI Radeon HD 4890 graphics card on my Ubuntu 10.04 system. My problem is that when i'm using the "fglrx" driver no matter which version ( i tested 10.2 - 10.4 ) i have lower performance than with the opensource "radeon" driver. This causes laggs whenever i scroll in Firefox and other annoying things like that.
    Is there any solution for this?

I'm having performance issues as well since the upgrade. If you don't have Compiz turned on, try doing so -- in my case it actually increased performance. With the exception of a few apps (mostly OpenGl-based in my case) my system is actually running quite smoothly now.

(That's with an HD4850 and fglrx 10.4 -- still hoping the situation will improve with 10.5 though)

Comment

I have an HD4890, and I can't make it work with Ubuntu 10.04.

Since I upgraged, it's fucked up.

I tried with fglrx, and OS drivers and still nothing.

I installed fglrx from terminal, and from drivers manager.
      Now I don't have any drivers installed, and the frame (boton layout) of the windows isn't showing, so compiz isn't working I think. I tried to activate anyway the advanced desktop effects, and I don't why/how... Ubuntu searches some drivers, and it CAN activate effects, so compiz works again. But if I go to Drivers Manager, it doesn't show any driver, and when I reboot, compiz brokes again.

I already thought the option of changing window manager, but I like compiz, and well, I love advanced desktop effects, but everything's crappy.

I'm considering of changing my Ubuntu to Debian, Arch Linux or another.

Comment

Working...
      X