Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZaReason Strata 6880 Sandy Bridge Notebook

Phoronix: ZaReason Strata 6880 Sandy Bridge Notebook

You may have noticed several Phoronix articles in recent weeks using a ZaReason notebook built around Intel's "Sandy Bridge" processor. This is one of the new notebooks from ZaReason that had been in our labs for testing. Here is a last look at the Strata 6880 notebook from this Linux-focused PC vendor.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have one of these. I was able to tolerate the Ubuntu Unity distribution for about 20 minutes before I called Zareason and ordered the Debian XFCE distribution disc.

I ordered mine with the SSD option instead of the hard drive - and extra $60, IIRC.

I am one of those people who will never get used to a touchpad so I have my USB mouse handy at all times. I also found the resolution of the built-in camera too low for Skype so I attach my Logitech HD WebCam to the other USB2 port and selected it for my default in the Skype Video settings area.

Now, if I only had a NextWindow touchscreen, I think I would be totally happy with it!

Comment

Glossy display is ugly. This notebook for me is out of range I need mat.

Comment

Originally posted by Remote User View Post
        I have one of these.
        Can't see how to edit my post so I'll add that I use the USB3 port for my HD Webcam. I do a lot of online demos for people using Skype. The quality of the webcam and the throughput of its interface are really very important. If anyone else is in my same situation, where live video is important, then a HD webcam on a USB3 port is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Remote User View Post
          Can't see how to edit my post so I'll add that I use the USB3 port for my HD Webcam. I do a lot of online demos for people using Skype. The quality of the webcam and the throughput of its interface are really very important. If anyone else is in my same situation, where live video is important, then a HD webcam on a USB3 port is the way to go.
          Is the webcam USB3? If not there would be no advantage what so ever

Comment

I have one of their Terra-HD netbooks and it doesn't have a BIOS that properly supports ASPM either. I still have it running Ubuntu 10.10 for that reason. Other than that and some other small issues it has been great.

Also Michael, I know Compal usually sticks TPM's in their notebooks. Do you know if this one is infected with one of those chips?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              Is the webcam USB3? If not there would be no advantage what so ever
              At the very least it's a third USB port.

I neglected to mention something about this notebook that needs to be fixed, however. I have my Removeable Drives & Media settings to mount drives when hot-plugged, to mount removable media when iinserted, but when I plug in an SD card it does put an icon on the desktop but it doesn't automount the sd card, and when I try to select mount or open from the right click menu I get a message "Not Authorized".

Comment

2GB of DDR3-1066 RAM for the same price you can get 8GB of DDR3-1333 from almost every other manufacturer, tiny 5400RPM drives, unspecified wireless chipset... Not a good buy.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                  2GB of DDR3-1066 RAM for the same price you can get 8GB of DDR3-1333 from almost every other manufacturer, tiny 5400RPM drives, unspecified wireless chipset... Not a good buy.
                  It's the Atheros AR9285 chipset.

What are the specs on your Linux notebook and the price you paid?

Comment

Nice but not buying.

Mainly because it would be silly to buy any laptop these days when Ivy Bridge is right around the corner. Of course IB needs to live up to expectations but a much loner battery lifetime seems to be a given.

Comment

Working...
                    X