Black screen when installing ATI/fglrx driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black screen when installing ATI/fglrx driver

After the installation of ATI Radeon HD 6670 Drivers my ubuntu 11.04 is not loading the gui only black screen shows up. Please help

please help :-(

Comment

Did you install by downloading from amd.com and building packages, downloading from amd.com and using native installer, or downloading packages from ubuntu repo / install CD ?

Did you run "sudo aticonfig --initial" after install ?

Can you start up without X and pastebin the xorg log and dmesg output ?
      Test signature

Comment

yes i can start with out x, how do i pastebin the xorg log and dmesg output?

Comment

This may happen when the monitor/panel's EDID is broken.
          Have you tried
          Code:
          sudo aticonfig --resolution=Screen#,W1xH1
          Screen# is usually 0 and W1 and H1 is your preferred resolution.

Sceptic

Comment

waqas300, please restart your machine after installing fglrx to make sure that the "radeon" kernel module is not loaded, as it will interfere with FGLRX.

I've installed ati-driver-installer-11-9-x86.x86_64.run on my new 6850 today without problems. Older versions (for example from ubuntu 11.04) had problems with video being displayed on top of everything.

Also, I'm not sure how to enable PowerPlay in cccle, so I've written a small script to save power and noise.

I really wish that AMD folks include some kind of check and print a Xorg error message if thats the case.

Comment

Working...
            X