Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Releases Upstart 1.6

Phoronix: Canonical Releases Upstart 1.6

While most Linux distributions have moved on to using systemd as their init daemon replacement, Canonical is still investing in their Upstart init daemon for Ubuntu. Upstart 1.6 has now been released and it presents several new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow

Wow. Just wow. So few features for 8 months of development. Canonical is seriously misguided if they believe this is the future common init system for linux. Kill it.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
      Wow. Just wow. So few features for 8 months of development. Canonical is seriously misguided if they believe this is the future common init system for linux. Kill it.
      No, burn it. I'll supply the gasoline and dance on its grave.

Comment

upstart isn't that bad, but I do wish they'd switch to systemd. Having the same init system across the major distros would be nice, and systemd does have some nice advantages. In addition systemd + the latest upower lets you use systemd for suspend/hibernate instead of the unmaintained and buggy pm-utils, and gives you logind instead of the unmaintained consolekit.

Maybe they are waiting until after the next lts before making such a big change?
        Last edited by bwat47; 15 November 2012, 11:33 AM.

Comment

What feature do you miss in Upstart?
          It "just works" and sysadmins I know are quite happy about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Malizor View Post
            You wouldn't believe for how many people System V "just works" and are quite happy about it.

Comment

Systemd -despite the udev things that happened lately- seems like a much healthier project with many people behind it. Canonical should change IMO. No point in having 10000 projects doing the same thing.

Comment

I could name some features which are very cool but Im not here to advertize systemd. I just see a half assed attempt to push another init system which got beaten by the competetion. Since systemd is way ahead and starts to add very usefull features outside init there is no reason to keep upstart alive. By keeping upstart you turn down all the other systemd magic(like the mentioned reliable suspend) which could benefit everyone TODAY.

Instead we have fragmentation, unneccesary complexity and an inconsistent lousy user experience. The new kids Head&Tails is suspending a linux computer and see if it will come back to life. That is 100% random and 50% chance. And yes this 2012

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  No point in having 10000 projects doing the same thing.
                  It is much worse. We have MUTUAL EXCLUSIVE projects hampering the whole. It is times like this where you load your shotgun and deal with it. Or better yet let all the contributors fight.

That would be a 12 vs 377 fight. Unless of course you are gonna count out Scott Remnant because this principal upstart developer already jumped the ship a year ago. Then it would be 11 vs 377. Who is betting their gold on not-so-Up-to-start?

Comment

Sometimes i get really surprised how many people bitch about anything that Canonical does. Systemd is not a bad technology far from it but if you wish bigger picture what it brings : http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/...temd-torvalds/ (someone posted this before ) .
                    Besides there isn't much to add in upstart without completely rewriting it,best thing that canonical can do is maintain it (bug fix it baby ).

Comment

Working...
                    X