Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueZ 5.15 Supports Android's Bluetooth Audio Interface

Phoronix: BlueZ 5.15 Supports Android's Bluetooth Audio Interface

BlueZ 5.15 has been released to provide an updated Bluetooth stack for Linux and with this release does come some new functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why do Linux developers care about Bluetooth so much. PC isn't bluetooth compatible. Most PCs don't come with bluetooth adapter and if you plug in usb bluetooth adapter, the BIOS/UEFI BIOS can't use it. I tried bluetooth keyboard/mouse exclusively and had to wait until Linux boots. BIOS and GRUB were inaccessible. After Linux boots, you still need to configure the system to use bluetooth with ps2/usb wired keyboards or with proprietary usb 2.4 GHz dongles.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Why do Linux developers care about Bluetooth so much. PC isn't bluetooth compatible. Most PCs don't come with bluetooth adapter and if you plug in usb bluetooth adapter, the BIOS/UEFI BIOS can't use it. I tried bluetooth keyboard/mouse exclusively and had to wait until Linux boots. BIOS and GRUB were inaccessible. After Linux boots, you still need to configure the system to use bluetooth with ps2/usb wired keyboards or with proprietary usb 2.4 GHz dongles.
      Laptops? You have a keyboard and mouse on board if you set up BIOS/UEFI but can use an external mouse or headphones in your OS for example. I know a lot of people that have a laptop and no PC.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
        Laptops? You have a keyboard and mouse on board if you set up BIOS/UEFI but can use an external mouse or headphones in your OS for example. I know a lot of people that have a laptop and no PC.
        Eggsactly

I use bluetooth for my bluetooth speakers (bluedevil and kde got some serious problems there, gnome is fine) and for the Libreoffice impress remote.
        And even with a pc bluetooth is nice. Running music on your machine, taking the small portable bluetoothspeaker to bathroom or wearing Bluetooth headphones while cleaning stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by pythoner View Post
          Eggsactly

I use bluetooth for my bluetooth speakers (bluedevil and kde got some serious problems there, gnome is fine) and for the Libreoffice impress remote.
          And even with a pc bluetooth is nice. Running music on your machine, taking the small portable bluetoothspeaker to bathroom or wearing Bluetooth headphones while cleaning stuff.
          Ok good to hear. I have expensive HiFi headphones with no bluetooth support and don't want to downgrade so have not ever tried. I've tried to redirect audio to home stereo via pulseaudio & airplay, but it does not seem to work without crashing too long.

Still I think bluetooth is useless for PC as long as it's not fully supported starting from BIOS. I use wifi or usb cable for tethering mobile net and syncing files. All input devices use Logitech unified proprietary protocol because I need to select OS in dual boot GRUB. Bluetooth devices might also use more power. They're much better supported in Mac world. You can actually install whole OS on an empty Mac with only Bluetooth devices.

Comment

My motherboard has a wifi / bluetooth mini pcie combo card. And all those booksize computers almost always have integrated bluetooth / wifi cards.

Comment

Bluetooth is an interesting topic IMO - it's either incredibly useless and/or stupid or one of the most useful things you could ever want. It all depends on the platform you use. On a desktop PC, aside from a wireless keyboard/mouse (which 99% of all desktop users don't need) or a gamepad, anything bluetooth can do, anything else will do better. But generally speaking, the smaller and more portable the device is, the more useful bluetooth becomes. Bluetooth is essentially a group of USB 1.0 ports. It's extremely handy on ARM platforms, where dedicated USB ports are rare. Through 1 bluetooth adapter, you can connect a mouse, keyboard, gamepad, speakers, storage device (albeit, a very slow one), and do a TTY session at the same time. I'm not sure if there's enough bandwidth to actually use all of those at the same time, but that's REALLY useful when you've got a pocket size device that might only have 1 USB port.

On a side note, just about all newly released wifi adapters are bluetooth combos, including desktop PC models. Bluetooth is such a cheap platform that there's not really any reason to not support it.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                My motherboard has a wifi / bluetooth mini pcie combo card. And all those booksize computers almost always have integrated bluetooth / wifi cards.
                Yes, some motherboards have it, others don't. It's usually the multimedia/HTPC/deluxe models that have builtin wireless stuff. Even if you use it, probably not for keyboard & mice because you can't access BIOS or boot loader menu via bluetooth.

Comment

Yes, some motherboards have it, others don't. It's usually the multimedia/HTPC/deluxe models that have builtin wireless stuff. Even if you use it, probably not for keyboard & mice because you can't access BIOS or boot loader menu via bluetooth.
                  But on what device in the universe can you access the bios through bluetooth? Or wifi? All the wireless technologies are too bulky and require configuration for them to work on a first time boot.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    But on what device in the universe can you access the bios through bluetooth? Or wifi? All the wireless technologies are too bulky and require configuration for them to work on a first time boot.
                    My logitech wireless usb keyboard works in bios/firmware, I'm pretty sure most do. The only reason I got it was because my bluetooth keyboard doesn't work. :/

Rockin teh bluetooth on my mini-ITX gigabyte motherboard (has a mini-PCIe wifi/bt board).

Comment

Working...
                    X