X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 and ATI driver 100% CPU usage bug makes it useless on laptop

Hi all

I am unfortunate enough to be suffering from this bug:

Does anybody else encounter the bug where if you use the drivers installed by Jockey and the screen goes into sleep (blacks out) that compiz then maxes one of the cores of the CPU? I am running 12.04 on a Dell laptop with an ATI display. If I use the proprietary driver this happens as soon as the screen blacks out. This makes the laptop to become hot and noisy as well as the battery doesn't last. The problem is that as soon as you move the mouse or press a key the screen comes on and then c...

... will be given some attention. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/980195 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1957470 As currently it is impossible to use the proprietary ATI drivers in ubuntu 12.04 on a laptop as the 100% cpu usage from compiz when the screen goes into standby mode drains the battery in no time! :(

As soon as the screen goes into standby mode the compiz maxes one of the cores of the CPU. This of course drains the battery in no time flat

When I use the opensource driver this issue doesn't exist but I want to play games with a proper frame rate in Linux and especialy seeing as steam is coming to Linux this will be a big issue for all using laptops and ATI display cards...

I am not sure if the problem is compiz or ATI related. The same thing happens when using cinnamin on Mint 13 so it definetly is some incompatibility in compiz and the ATI driver.

I installed the driver via the software centre and by following these steps:

All of them gives the same results...

Found this workaround, just be sure to disable tearfree or else it wont work:

WORKAROUND:
    1. Open Catalyst Control Center.
    2. Go to 3D > More Settings.
    3. Set "Wait for vertical refresh" to "On, unless application specifies".
    And if that doesn't work, then also do:
    4. Run "ccsm"
    5. In Workarounds, enable "Force full screen redraw (buffer swap) on repaint".

Comment

Originally posted by georgelappies View Post
      Found this workaround, just be sure to disable tearfree or else it wont work:

WORKAROUND:
      1. Open Catalyst Control Center.
      2. Go to 3D > More Settings.
      3. Set "Wait for vertical refresh" to "On, unless application specifies".
      And if that doesn't work, then also do:
      4. Run "ccsm"
      5. In Workarounds, enable "Force full screen redraw (buffer swap) on repaint".
      Thank you you saved my life!

Comment

Working...
      X