X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-smooth window movement on gnome 3 and Unity

Videocard: HD 6850
    Ati driver version: 12.4

When dragging a window (or playing video) the movement is non-smooth. It is worse in Unity 3d. It is also seen in Gnome3. On unity-2d there is no problem. Is this a compiz issue or amd driver or X11 issue. Is there a solution. Thanks

Most probably it is the AMD "pro" driver...

Comment

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
      Most probably it is the AMD "pro" driver...
      Is there a different driver that I can use. I have three monitors. I need a driver that will support more than 2. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by odror View Post
        Is there a different driver that I can use. I have three monitors. I need a driver that will support more than 2. Thanks
        It depends on your workflow. There is the free driver which is still not good enough for high performance 3D, but has perfect 2D. Also, I am not sure if it supports 3 displays. I honestly do not know that. You could also try a different desktop environment, like KDE, as Unity is a performance killer.

Comment

It depends on your workflow. There is the free driver which is still not good enough for high performance 3D, but has perfect 2D. Also, I am not sure if it supports 3 displays. I honestly do not know that. You could also try a different desktop environment, like KDE, as Unity is a performance killer.
          Do you think that a faser card with more memory will make a difference in my situation.

Comment

Do you think that a faser card with more memory will make a difference in my situation.
            It's not that simple. What do you use your system for? This is the first question to ask.

Comment

It's not that simple. What do you use your system for? This is the first question to ask.
              I use it mainly for web Browsing email and DVR (mythtv play videos)

Comment

I use it mainly for web Browsing email and DVR (mythtv play videos)
                Really? The model of your card suggests something much more intensive. In this case you should be fine with open driver. Just remove the proprietary driver from your system. You installed it with jockey program or with installer from AMD website? If jockey, then just the same program to remove the driver. If separate driver binary, then I don't remember how to do it. There is a way to do it.

Comment

Then maybe you will try FOSS driver instead of proprietary? To do that you need to uninstall proprietary driver and remove xorg.conf, if you have it.
                  You also maybe want to set different power profile, to reduce noise.

Comment

Really? The model of your card suggests something much more intensive. In this case you should be fine with open driver. Just remove the proprietary driver from your system. You installed it with jockey program or with installer from AMD website? If jockey, then just the same program to remove the driver. If separate driver binary, then I don't remember how to do it. There is a way to do it.
                    I amplified the story. Two of the monitors are hi res 2560x1440. The total workspace is 8960x1440 when I add a 4th monitor (HDTV) . The reason that I switched from nvidia to ati was that I'll be able to use gnome 3 or unity 3d with 3 or 4 monitors.

Comment

Working...
                    X