Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Writes About Their Linux Client Plans

Phoronix: Valve Writes About Their Linux Client Plans

Finally some non-Phoronix exclusive information about Steam/Source Engine on Linux Valve Software has begun to write about their Steam Linux client initiatives on their public blog...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! I hope they will make native 64 bit ports, not 32 bit multilib crap.

Comment

Valve to purchase Ubuntu?

I kid, but seriously. While likely to anger many, the distro lock-in seems like a decent strategy, as it answers the initial doubts over "all the distros are different so it will break" from naysayers. I guess that means they can also run hand-in-hand with the major update rollouts. Will Steam update itself internally (like in Windows), or will it go through Update Manager like Firefox and Chromium? Seems exciting to see how it goes, even if I don't play a single game.

Even if Steam is a little buggy, that's not too bad. It has always crashed on my Windows systems if I run the games long enough, and those are rock-solid builds with good parts.

Comment

I am no real fan from the idea to support U 12.04 first. Basically because the binaries are incompatible with Debian as the libc6 is newer in U. Not even wheezy/sid has got that new libc6. I would like to hear when they want to switch to debian. Of couse i would help em with kanotix which is based on Debian as well. even for free or for a few games. I also have got gfxdetect in the pipeline which is very cool. You can switch gfx cards and the drivers will switch automatically. Cool for testing on different hardware (you can usually switch a gfx card within a few seconds to minutes - depending on the size and power cables). Ok, i could write that for U as well, but did not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          I am no real fan from the idea to support U 12.04 first. Basically because the binaries are incompatible with Debian as the libc6 is newer in U. Not even wheezy/sid has got that new libc6. I would like to hear when they want to switch to debian. Of couse i would help em with kanotix which is based on Debian as well. even for free or for a few games. I also have got gfxdetect in the pipeline which is very cool. You can switch gfx cards and the drivers will switch automatically. Cool for testing on different hardware (you can usually switch a gfx card within a few seconds to minutes - depending on the size and power cables). Ok, i could write that for U as well, but did not yet.
          It makes total sense to target ubuntu though, as its the most popular desktop oriented distro... if they are going to sell games on linux targeting ubuntu is their best bet.

Comment

It's not like they'll be locking you into Ubuntu with extra code. They just aren't applying the extra effort required to make it work everywhere - yet.

Brilliant news, I'm pretty stoked to hear this. I'll be supporting them!

Comment

We can help!

Michael, you should tell your buddy Gabe that distrolock is stupid that's not supporting Linux that's supporting Ubuntu. Nextly any half assed distro will make it work and handle what needs to be done with links,data,permissions,etc... just give out the binaries for what is needed and most distros will get it up and running without anyhelp and take the brunt of the support help as well.. That being said release a Ubuntu package and watch how fast it gets put on Arch.

Comment

Ahh, the expected rudeness of the elitists. Pity, but I'm glad people at Valve know what they're doing, coming from this community to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                  Michael, you should tell your buddy Gabe that distrolock is stupid that's not supporting Linux that's supporting Ubuntu.
                  LOL, have you read Phoronix? You probably need to convince Michael of that before getting him to try and argue the point to someone else.

Anyway, supporting a single linux distro absolutely makes sense to begin with. Other distros will just repackage it to work for them. Over time they can fix any problems that come up.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 16 July 2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                    Michael, you should tell your buddy Gabe that distrolock is stupid that's not supporting Linux that's supporting Ubuntu. Nextly any half assed distro will make it work and handle what needs to be done with links,data,permissions,etc... just give out the binaries for what is needed and most distros will get it up and running without anyhelp and take the brunt of the support help as well.. That being said release a Ubuntu package and watch how fast it gets put on Arch.
                    For those concerned over the Ubuntu support, don't worry... At least when we talked about it back in April, it's basically that's what they're officially supporting... They won't be doing anything to deter people from using their own distribution of choice. Focusing upon Ubuntu as the primary target is not a big surprise given their large presence, but in the end all Linux users should be happy. Once their done with their beta, it wouldn't be surprising if they list other distributions too, but yeah don't get caught up in that it's some Ubuntu-only solution. I would be surprised if they even use the Ubuntu Software Center or any form of an apt repository.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X