Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cairo Proposed To Become Part Of ISO C++

Phoronix: Cairo Proposed To Become Part Of ISO C++

The C++ standards committee is looking at adopting a Cairo C++ interface as part of a future revision to the ISO C++ standard to provide 2D drawing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be really nice to have drawing standardized. That could be a killer feature for me (I prefer C).
    I also think it was mistake not to include POSIX into ISO C.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
      I think so too, but it appears that, many years later, they are finally catching up (see C11 threads).

Comment

Sadly C11 threads are optional (probably Cairo will be optional too) and there are many more things in POSIX.

Comment

I assume GUI will also be part of it (window creation etc.)?

Comment

does it mean we will have to include more un-needed libraries?

And what exactly does it have ANYTHING TO DO with the c++ programming language?

Even as far as STL goes, I am not quite sure that should be there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              I assume GUI will also be part of it (window creation etc.)?
              Cairo is only 2D drawing library (not GUI).

Comment

Originally posted by Illasera View Post
                does it mean we will have to include more un-needed libraries?
                That is probably implementation dependant. If it is separate library then you don't have to link it, if you don't use it. If it's built into standard C++ library, it doesn't matter anyway (won't make your program bigger).

Originally posted by Illasera View Post
                And what exactly does it have ANYTHING TO DO with the c++ programming language?
                Well, C++ programers might want to draw something on screen. Having standard drawing is nice for portability.

Comment

Well, C++ programers might want to draw something on screen. Having standard drawing is nice for portability.
                  Here is the thing, you can say that on ANYTHING, Next thing you know, you will include "boost" as part of the standard.

For the reason that people may WANT something from it, Does it have anything to do with the language itself or the c++ committee? I am not sure.
                  Last edited by Illasera; 03 January 2014, 08:45 AM.

Comment

It would be really nice to have drawing standardized. That could be a killer feature for me (I prefer C).
                    POSIX is an operating system specification - and specifically one for Unix, hence the X in the acronym - C is a language and associated runtime, as such it shall be os agnostic...
                    if you make posix a part of the language standard you mandate for things such as (for instance) signals, or fork/exec that other perfectly working OS's dont have because they're inherent to the unix process model - or are you advocating every Os to be a clone of unix?

Of course to have drawing standardized seems like a nice thing , BUT wouldn't fit with the intended scope and goal of C and C++ as languages (to remain as lean as possible so as to allow for anything upper level to be built and used upon it without tying itself to anything in particular)

OTOH, why a somewhat "arbitrary" library like Cairo (worse, a C++ified (sic) version of it)?
                    why not, for instance, AGG (which is C++ and is in widespread use in non - unix systems too)?
                    or OpenVG, which is at least backed by an industry consortium of sorts and, unlike cairo, has hw-accelerated implementations in existence?
                    Last edited by silix; 03 January 2014, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X