Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Builds Of Wayland & Weston For Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Daily Builds Of Wayland & Weston For Ubuntu Linux

While Canonical may be set on making Mir the default display server across all Ubuntu platforms by this time next year, this isn't stopping others from using Ubuntu for Wayland development and using it as an alternative to Mir or the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Weston
    Install Weston, the reference Wayland compositor.
    $ sudo apt-get install weston

From within X to launch Weston in a window, run;
    $ weston
    If you want you can put a weston.ini file in your $XDG_CONFIG_HOME, check "man weston.ini" for the syntax or look it up on GitHub:
    https://github.com/krh/weston/blob/master/weston.ini.

From Linux built-in kernel VT, press Ctrl+Alt+F1, and type:
    $ weston-launch
    To run Weston on Wayland, not under X.

XWayland
    If you want to run legacy X11 applications on Wayland, you need to install XWayland.
    $ sudo apt-get install xwayland
    You can configure Weston to use XWayland by loading xwayland.so in your "core" section of your weston.ini config file. See "man weston.ini".

GNOME on Wayland
    $ sudo apt-get install gnome-session-wayland
    Now to run GNOME with the Wayland session, either install GDM (sudo apt-get install gdm), which is the GNOME Display Manager to replace LightDM, then you can select "GNOME with Wayland" as your login session.
    Or Ctrl+Alt+F1 and run (I think it was this if my memory serves me right);
    $ gnome-session --session=gnome-wayland
    Last edited by uid313; 21 April 2015, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Wayland on Ubuntu/Pi v2

Has anyone tried wayland standalone on the Pi V2 Model B? For the past month I've been using my Pi as a router, without it my S3/PC does not have internet. Replacing my Pi router with a TP-Link WDR3600 & Openwrt soon. I can't wait to tinker again! I'm too lazy to test new software with Raspbian, you end up having to compile most of it youself. Ubuntu PPA has been extremely convenient in the past (on amd64 at least).

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
        Has anyone tried wayland standalone on the Pi V2 Model B? For the past month I've been using my Pi as a router, without it my S3/PC does not have internet. Replacing my Pi router with a TP-Link WDR3600 & Openwrt soon. I can't wait to tinker again! I'm too lazy to test new software with Raspbian, you end up having to compile most of it youself. Ubuntu PPA has been extremely convenient in the past (on amd64 at least).
        There is a port of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for the RPi 2 nowadays btw. Not all PPAs support armhf though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
          Did you use a USB Ethernet adapter for the second port for your router? If so, which make/model?

Comment

Originally posted by budric View Post
            Did you use a USB Ethernet adapter for the second port for your router? If so, which make/model?
            Wifi - Lan bridge using https://github.com/escitalopram/wlan_kabel it's not a setup I'm proud of, but it works for now. I also ran various IPSec and autossh socks tunnels on the Pi. A friend asked me the same question 2 days ago, the only useful info I found was http://www.midwesternmac.com/blogs/j...bit-networking please let me know if you try it.

There is a port of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for the RPi 2 nowadays btw. Not all PPAs support armhf though.
            I used both 2015-02-19 and 2015-03-02 ubuntu images, it took me a week to get my wifi driver working on ubuntu. Had to build my own kernel on the pi. It took a day just to download the Pi kernel source off github, after downloading I learned how to use: "git clone --depth 1" to discard the old version control changes (something I should have known as a developer ). The driver was unstable and it wasn't a pleasant experience overall. I ended up loading raspbian again and buying a new USB wifi device.

I just received my TP-Link WDR3600 router! Should have time to test ubuntu/wayland on the Pi again over the weekend. No need for wifi proprietary firmware YAY!

Comment

Main Ubuntu is going to use Mir.

Well Unity on mobile and desktop.

Most of the flavors will probably go with Wayland or stay with X.

Comment

Unity on Wayland?

What would it take to get desktop Unity to work on Wayland? Either via a new backend or a "Mir on Wayland" translation layer.

Maybe there is a basis for a community driven Wubuntu flavour

Comment

Working...
                X