Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Makes TTM GPU Drivers Work On Xen

Phoronix: Oracle Makes TTM GPU Drivers Work On Xen

Yesterday and today there's been patches published by Oracle's Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk that make it possible for open-source GPU Linux drivers that use the TTM (Translation Table Maps) in-kernel memory management to work within Xen virtualization. The TTM drivers include the open-source Radeon and Nouveau DRM drivers, among others...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"We're still waiting for a KMS and Gallium3D driver for KVM virtualization, and then we can really get excited."

What? Actually this news is VERY exiting to me, as I use a lots of Xen. I really do not care about KVM. And Gallium3D should work with Konrad's patches without problems.

Comment

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"but the number of people using Xen virtualization is down" where are your statistics? Yes, other virtualization technologies are growing, that does not nescessarily mean a decrease for Xen. I haven't read anywhere that Amazon EC2 is moving away from Xen.

Why would Oracle make this opensource contribution, not because they have no interest in increasing their market share in the virtualization markets. Oracle is working hard to be a major virtualization player, Xen is a key component of that strategy.

I'm sorry but I feel the need for need a small RANT now. When I read Phoronix I need to re-calibrate my compass:
      Ubuntu IS linux
      KVM IS virtualization

RANT Off

see ya
      dh

Comment

Working...
      X