Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo Announces Eudev Project -- Its Udev Fork

Phoronix: Gentoo Announces Eudev Project -- Its Udev Fork

Back in mid-November I wrote about Gentoo developers looking at forking udev after being unhappy with its direction under systemd leadership. The Gentoo project has now announced eudev as their fork...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, what I don't quite get ...

they say that the devs are uninterested in providing support for [xyz]. But why the hell do you do a full fork instead of just signing yourself up to doing the areas the existing maintainers are not interested in? Just doesn't make any sense to me, but suit yourself -.-

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
      they say that the devs are uninterested in providing support for [xyz]. But why the hell do you do a full fork instead of just signing yourself up to doing the areas the existing maintainers are not interested in? Just doesn't make any sense to me, but suit yourself -.-
      I don't like how this all plays out as it sounds like a bunch of kids fighting, but they have a valid reason to do this.
      Not everyone wants/can to use systemd and compatibility to other systems is a problem. Let's hope that when the waves calmed down (is this something you can say in english? I hope so :-D) both camps find a way that is working for both of them and they can work together on 1 udev.

Comment

back when udev was taken over by the systemd crowd there was a promise to keep udev independent enough for others to use it without systemd.

That was broken.

Do you really want to deal with people who backstabbed you in the past? who are known for their hostile maneuvering?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          back when udev was taken over by the systemd crowd there was a promise to keep udev independent enough for others to use it without systemd. -- That was broken.
          When? Because it's definetly still supported.

Comment

Ok, after reading up on the follup-thread it seems that various patches in the direction were rejected, as were bug reports (closed with "WONTFIX"). So, it seems, forking has it's valid points ... hope they can work out their differences though and merge back together (someone needs to convince Lennart first that udev without systemd also has it's use(r)s)

Comment

I don't have anything against systemd.

I might not know what I am talking about so correct me if I am wrong, but I have got the impression that systemd authors have tied systemd to udev so to force systemd onto everyone, I think that is very ugly and very wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I don't have anything against systemd.

I might not know what I am talking about so correct me if I am wrong, but I have got the impression that systemd authors have tied systemd to udev so to force systemd onto everyone, I think that is very ugly and very wrong!
                An arch dev -and sysD contributor- commented that in order to fix what they wanted to achieve all they had to do was "write some trivial patches for the builtsystem". Probably the hate for Lennart and Kay played a big role in this fork.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  An arch dev -and sysD contributor- commented that in order to fix what they wanted to achieve all they had to do was "write some trivial patches for the builtsystem". Probably the hate for Lennart and Kay played a big role in this fork.
                  ISTR seeing those "trivial patches" submitted, and rejected.
                  If upstream refuses to consider merging support for something that used to work, then what reason is there to expect that upstream won't break it worse?

Also, maybe they'll be more sane about asyncronous firmware loading...I'd give it a 90% or better chance.

Comment

Note from the OP (in FAQ format) that the concept of the Gentoo project announcing things is a somewhat problematic one:

"You are a Gentoo project. What does this mean?

Gentoo as an organization is quite similar to github, although it is exclusive to Gentoo developers. Our rules permit all Gentoo developers have the ability to start a project and such projects are entitled to be hosted on Gentoo infrastructure. This by no means constitutes official endorsement by Gentoo's governing body and we have no authority to dictate the future direction of Gentoo. We do have the ability to provide an alternative to Gentoo users, which we fully intend to do."

(emphasis mine)

Comment

Working...
                    X