Looking Forward To UVD On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking Forward To UVD On Linux?

Phoronix: Looking Forward To UVD On Linux?

After slides had leaked out onto the Internet last month that AMD is going to support playing high-definition multimedia content on Linux, we had talked a bit more about UVD for Linux. There are two shared libraries already shipping with the AMD Catalyst Linux Suite, libAMDXvBA.so.1.o and libXvBAW.so.1.o, that reference XvMC and UVD2 (Unified Video Decoder 2) but they aren't yet being utilized by the proprietary driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, I personally don't care about HD video as long as the proprietary driver makes my computer go into a hard lock when I try to switch users (HD3870). Shutdown works as it should, but switching users just freezes the whole thing. I have to use the radeonhd driver instead :/

Wouldn't it be better if they ironed out the big bugs before introducing new features?
    Last edited by Odur; 01 October 2008, 03:42 PM.

Comment

It is probably a good idea to make UVD an open standard, as it then has chances to become the standard that is everyone expecting to be implemented by every vendor. That way AMD can take the lead in this discipline...

Comment

Sounds like a nice feature to implement to allow HD video playback..would be nice for others such as nVidia and Intel to implement for their cards as well

Comment

What is the difference between this and the VA-API ?

Comment

This sounds nice!
            Good movie playback is more important than good 3D acceleration to me.

Comment

yaha... can't wait to drop this baby on my Mythbuntu (MythTV) media center.

Comment

Players?

What's going to be the player(s) that use UVD? Considering it's not available currently, none of the open-source projects can pick it up- so unless AMD is releasing their own player app (or a partner is), it will be some time before anyone can actually use it,

Comment

Hmm .. I doubt that this acceleration architecture will be available to mythtv or mplayer etc due to drm. They are going to require their own player to guarantee a protected path, and seeing as it can't be done in the kernel for obvious reasons, then thats what will happen.

This is going to have some oem bundled proprietary playback software, so no fun for anyone trying to use this on worthwhile apps like myth...

maybe useful, but not as much as it could be.

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
                    Hmm .. I doubt that this acceleration architecture will be available to mythtv or mplayer etc due to drm. They are going to require their own player to guarantee a protected path, and seeing as it can't be done in the kernel for obvious reasons, then thats what will happen.

This is going to have some oem bundled proprietary playback software, so no fun for anyone trying to use this on worthwhile apps like myth...

maybe useful, but not as much as it could be.
                    The protected path + what Bridgman's mentioned about UVD vs. UVD2 design makes me believe that UVD1 card owners will be left out at the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                    X