Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe's Flash Video Acceleration On Linux Uses VDPAU

Phoronix: Adobe's Flash Video Acceleration On Linux Uses VDPAU

This morning there was the report on the release of Adobe Flash Player 10.2 Beta 1, which finally brought GPU-based Flash video acceleration to Linux. H.264 video acceleration has already been available on Windows and Mac OS X operating systems, but this is the first time that Adobe is bringing this support to the official Linux Flash player. With the 10.2 release to all operating systems they are providing this support via an API they call "Stage Video" for the complete acceleration of the entire playback process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe this will be finally the push that gets vdpau adopted in other drivers.

Comment

Can someone explain the "next-to-broken state thanks to bugs in the X-Video Bitstream Acceleration driver" to me?

I have used catalyst for some time with my HD 4670. It worked very good for most videos. There were some (x264 encoded, level 5 @ high I think) that had huge block artifacts but the vast majority of the videos just played flawless.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Can someone explain the "next-to-broken state thanks to bugs in the X-Video Bitstream Acceleration driver" to me?

I have used catalyst for some time with my HD 4670. It worked very good for most videos. There were some (x264 encoded, level 5 @ high I think) that had huge block artifacts but the vast majority of the videos just played flawless.
        Here is a nice 105 page write up on the various issues.

Comment

I have read like 70 posts and there were only people complaining that their older cards are not supported or discussing when video acceleration will come to the open source driver. One person had a problem that was solved quickly. Post 60 finally named some issues.
          I'm not currently running catalyst but I think deinterlacing worked...
          h264 l5.1 doesn't play. I said that, but few, very few videos I have encountered use it (actually 2).
          I have only managed to crash X with a broken video once in a long time... Certainly this is not the reason for saying it is "half broken".
          I have never encountered wrong colors on h264, only said problems with above videos. Does someone have a screenshot or something?

Is there more to come? Do I have to read all posts of which only a a small minority is about the problems?

I also don't understand why people like to have to have so many pages all the time. With my forum settings it are only 12 pages.

Comment

I also don't understand why people like to have to have so many pages all the time. With my forum settings it are only 12 pages.
            Ever try to load a page with 100 posts on one page on a cell phone?

Comment

xvba is crap, just like all other AMD proprietary stuff. get over it.

Comment

I wonder when does Flash get support for webm, I thought they'd do that asap.
                And yes, I also hope that now AMD driver devs might consider supporting vdpau.

Comment

I have read like 70 posts and there were only people complaining that their older cards are not supported or discussing when video acceleration will come to the open source driver. One person had a problem that was solved quickly.
                  I am sorry but I have never seen any XvBA bug fixed quickly. I remind there was a stupid and crashing bug that prevented *any* XvBA based application (or library) to function properly without appropriate workaround. The fix was as trivial as a 10 characters (yes, ten!) change in the Makefile or whatever is used in the build system. However, this was only done 8 months later, yes, months...

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Maybe this will be finally the push that gets vdpau adopted in other drivers.
                    Or other vendors getting their stuff together. I'd much rather the latter actually. Not too keen on the one-size-fits-all approach.

Comment

Working...
                    X