Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla's First Smartphone Powered By Wayland

Phoronix: Jolla's First Smartphone Powered By Wayland

We have long known that Jolla, the company founded by former Nokia employees, has been toying with Wayland for their future smartphones. We now have confirmation that right from the start their first phone will be running on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

500$ phone with this configuration? Although I would give them my best of luck but I highly doubt it will shine.

Comment

Somewhat agree, but the hw is only half of the product, the other half is the sw.
      You don't need a quad core cpu on a phone, unless your apps are running on half-native/interpreted goo like Java/Dalvik, which is also sucking a lot more memory and doing garbage collection (gc) which leads to hiccups => the experience playing a game is better on a dual-core CPU in C++ than with Java on a quad core cause you can't normally escape gc with Java or with other (half)interpreted crap.
      Wayland is also better than SurficeFlinger.
      Last edited by mark45; 13 July 2013, 12:07 PM.

Comment

They Need To Rethink that Price

There are definitely going to have some die-hard fans of Linux and Sailfish who will buy this no matter the price, but I highly doubt the general market is going to pass up an HTC One or iPhone 5 for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
          Maybe more likable, not better. One is production quality another is research or development quality. The difference is literally millions of years in service on a large of variety of hw.
          So? i still need to restart Android 2.3 phones each day

Comment

his Wayland Phone's are Unlocked? if so the price is not bad at all

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
              So? i still need to restart Android 2.3 phones each day
              I never have to do that with my galaxy s2 running android 4.1...

In any case I don't think surfaceflinger would be the cause of needing to resart your phone anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                The difference is literally millions of years in service on a large of variety of hw.
                The biggest bullshit exaggeration I read today. The bullshit lies in the details, the number of users multiplied by the num of hours gives the perfect bullshit stats of an extremely well tested and working piece of software, which it is not, just like windows or IE6 is a gazillion trintillion bazillion years in service and still is junk. But you won't get it. I just used your analogy to prove IE6 is DA BEST.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                  I never have to do that with my galaxy s2 running android 4.1...

In any case I don't think surfaceflinger would be the cause of needing to resart your phone anyway...
                  it's Android the software is Locked down so you have to ROM it to fix any thing and the carrier was the one who picked if you get update's that is why i Liked iOS over Android was you can pug it into your computer and upgrade it any time the new Jolla Wayland Smartphone looks really good

Comment

so Wayland's now Shipping so now does Matt from LAS have to ware a monkey suit now?

Comment

Working...
                    X