Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE 12.3 RC2 Better Supports UEFI, Live Media

Phoronix: openSUSE 12.3 RC2 Better Supports UEFI, Live Media

Version 12.3 of openSUSE is due out in two weeks and as the final stepping stone, openSUSE 12.3 Release Candidate 2 is now on the Internet...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: openSUSE 12.3 RC2 Better Supports UEFI, Live Media

Version 12.3 of openSUSE is due out in two weeks and as the final stepping stone, openSUSE 12.3 Release Candidate 2 is now on the Internet...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxNDQ
    The 12.2 live media doesn't support uefi. Will the new one support it

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
      The 12.2 live media doesn't support uefi. Will the new one support it
      It should!

Also note that you MUST use Imagewriter for making live usb. Unetbootin/dd do not work reliably. But imagewriter is available for both win and lin.

Wanted some distro where KDE is Tier1 citizen, and OpenSuSE 12.3 is great so far. (apart from troubles with creating live usb with anything other than imagewriter).

Comment

It's gonna be a great release!

@przemoli
        Instead imagewriter You can simply use dd as follows:
        Code:
        dd if=/path/to/downloaded.iso of=/dev/sdX
        All possible ways are described on wiki: http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          It should!

Also note that you MUST use Imagewriter for making live usb. Unetbootin/dd do not work reliably. But imagewriter is available for both win and lin.

Wanted some distro where KDE is Tier1 citizen, and OpenSuSE 12.3 is great so far. (apart from troubles with creating live usb with anything other than imagewriter).
          12.2 definitely doesn't have uefi inside the live usb. the new one might.

Comment

i just checked. yeah, they uefi support inside the live cd

Comment

It's gonna be a great release!

Comment

Just installed the 12.3RC2 over 12.2 on my ThinkPad Twist. It was wicked to see the touchscreen worked out of the box during installation!!! The Packman repo is still working to get things ready for the release, so no broadcom wireless drivers or VLC. The KDE 3.5 repo seems to be in order. I've had strange issues with 12.2 and didn't bother upgrading 12.1 on some of my rigs. When i got the laptop it had Windows 8 Basic. I tried it out to see what Windows 8 was like and was shocked at the UI change. It booted to the desktop really quickly, but I soon discovered it took another good 30+ seconds for the computer to catch up with it's self and become usable. Even with the laptop being able to convert to a slate. I was was not pleased with the phone/tablet like MetroUI. From the grub menu to desktop, it takes OpenSUSE 12.3 about 24 seconds to boot up which is good enough for me. The only thing I didn't like about the laptop was the battery life which seemed pretty damn small but for $800 out the door with sales tax from Office Depot I'm happy with the final results. Can't wait for the final release

ThinkPad Twist
                Core i5-3317U
                HD 4000
                4Gb Memory
                500 GB; 24 GB solid-state drive
                1366 x 768 Touchscreen

Comment

Working...
                X