Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 7.3 Gets Primed With GLSL 1.20, GEM, DRI2

Phoronix: Mesa 7.3 Gets Primed With GLSL 1.20, GEM, DRI2

It's been over four months since Mesa 7.1 was released and about three months since Mesa 7.2 (the stabilized version of 7.1), but now Mesa 7.3 is getting primed and ready to enter the limelight. As the first step, Mesa 7.3 Release Candidate 1 will be pushed out shortly. One of the primary features of Mesa 7.3 is enhanced support for GLSL 1.20...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so ATI users will have to wait for Mesa 7.5/7.6 to get DRI2 ?

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
      so ATI users will have to wait for Mesa 7.5/7.6 to get DRI2 ?
      I don't think Mesa itself is holding back ATI DRI2; it's just a matter of the driver(s) taking advantage of it (and using X.org 1.6). Jerome Glisse is working on DRI2 with the open-source radeon driver: http://jglisse.livejournal.com/1623.html

Comment

yeh ati users may have to wait as i understand it

Comment

Can anyone confirm if the Intel drivers now report OpenGL 2.1 support instead of just 1.4? Eric Anholt said he committed the fix to Mesa master in October.

Comment

Code:
            glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version string"
            OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.3-devel
            That's on my G45, running something close to 7.3 rc1.

Comment

Why don't all developers put their efforts into Gallium3D instead?

It seems Gallium3D is going to replace Mesa3D totally, meaning a new proyect. Or it will use Mesa3D code in some way?

I have high hopes that Gallium3D can accelerate the 3D support of new APIs and new OpenGL versions. Let's see if OpenGL evolves faster to compete with DirectX, their Brazil-like "bureaucrazy" and makes the Khronos Group seem like a bad joke.

I even can't understand why the Khronos Group doesn't support OpenGL implementations financially and in a technical way.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                Code:
                glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version string"
                OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.3-devel
                That's on my G45, running something close to 7.3 rc1.
                Yes! Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  Why don't all developers put their efforts into Gallium3D instead?

It seems Gallium3D is going to replace Mesa3D totally, meaning a new proyect. Or it will use Mesa3D code in some way?

I have high hopes that Gallium3D can accelerate the 3D support of new APIs and new OpenGL versions. Let's see if OpenGL evolves faster to compete with DirectX, their Brazil-like "bureaucrazy" and makes the Khronos Group seem like a bad joke.

I even can't understand why the Khronos Group doesn't support OpenGL implementations financially and in a technical way.
                  As far as I understand it, Gallium3D is more an abstraction layer than an OpenGL implementation. The graphics drivers are required to expose some low-level functionality to a general shader language, which in term is used to provide an OpenGL 1.x/2.x/3.x implementation which is transparent to all video card models/vendors/...

So Gallium3D is more of a framework which is used inside of Mesa to implement OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                    As far as I understand it, Gallium3D is more an abstraction layer than an OpenGL implementation. The graphics drivers are required to expose some low-level functionality to a general shader language, which in term is used to provide an OpenGL 1.x/2.x/3.x implementation which is transparent to all video card models/vendors/...

So Gallium3D is more of a framework which is used inside of Mesa to implement OpenGL.
                    OK, so Gallium3D is something that is going to merge into the main Mesa3D branch and not replace it. Interesting to know.

In a comment I was recently asked where Gallium3D does fit in in regards to Mesa and OpenGL. Given that I’m not an expert the answer was short and simple but might interest others as well. Th…

One nice thing about Gallium3D is that it provides a clean cut abstraction of (modern) 3D graphics hardware. The purpose of this abstractio...

One of the things I don't like of Mesa3D and such is that isn't community based development but done by a corporation. They are hiding some parts of the development phase like shamed of something dirty they are doing with the code, instead following an open and community based development process.

There's a git source code repository, but they expressed that some work is underground and not show. This is true for all FOSS projects, but maybe they don't follow the "release early, release often" totally and follow a somewhat conservative approach when releasing certain source code to the public (I'm not talking about end user, but those geeks able to use a compiler and look into the code). I just desire them luck and not being pissed off again with an Intel alternative like with TTM vs GEM.

Comment

Working...
                    X