Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases 337 Linux Driver With Overclocking, Better EGL

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases 337 Linux Driver With Overclocking, Better EGL

This past weekend I wrote about NVIDIA planning to release a huge Linux driver update that would finally bring overclocking support under Linux to GeForce 400/500/600/700 series hardware. That milestone has now been realized with the 337.12 Beta driver release and besides overclocking it has a bunch of other features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On my case installation works without problem

And now i testing some games on wine, in next hours upload some results

Comment

The new driver compile without probleme on the 3.14 kernel

No patch needed anymore four the 3.14 kernel on my Opensuse Tumbleweed.

Comment

They need to focus on nouveau!

Comment

Originally posted by phdemartin View Post
          No patch needed anymore four the 3.14 kernel on my Opensuse Tumbleweed.
          Work for me aswell on Arch Linux with 3.14.

I updated the PKGBUILDs for nvidia-beta and nvidia-beta-utils from the AUR myself. Just get rid of the patch part in the prepare() and delete its checksum.
          Last edited by blackout23; 08 April 2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working on Fedora 20 as well.

But how can you activate the Coolbits option in xorg.conf? For me it didn't work unlocking the overclocking feature.
            Last edited by ageha; 08 April 2014, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ageha View Post

But how can you activate the Coolbits option in xorg.conf? For me it didn't work unlocking the overclocking feature.
              There is supposed to be a CoolBits part in the README, but I can't find it.

Added the ability to over- and under-clock certain GeForce GPUs in the GeForce GTX 400 series and later. For GPUs that allow it, an offset can be applied to clock values in some clock domains of some performance levels. This clock manipulation is done at the user's own risk. See the README documentation of the "CoolBits"

Where is it?

Comment

Code:
                Section "Device"
                    Identifier     "Device0"
                    Driver         "nvidia"
                    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
                    Option         "Coolbits" "1"
                EndSection
                Didn't do it for me.

Comment

Option "Coolbits" "integer"

Enables various unsupported features, such as support for GPU clock
                  manipulation in the NV-CONTROL X extension. This option accepts a bit mask
                  of features to enable.

WARNING: this may cause system damage and void warranties. This utility
                  can run your computer system out of the manufacturer's design
                  specifications, including, but not limited to: higher system voltages,
                  above normal temperatures, excessive frequencies, and changes to BIOS that
                  may corrupt the BIOS. Your computer's operating system may hang and result
                  in data loss or corrupted images. Depending on the manufacturer of your
                  computer system, the computer system, hardware and software warranties may
                  be voided, and you may not receive any further manufacturer support.
                  NVIDIA does not provide customer service support for the Coolbits option.
                  It is for these reasons that absolutely no warranty or guarantee is either
                  express or implied. Before enabling and using, you should determine the
                  suitability of the utility for your intended use, and you shall assume all
                  responsibility in connection therewith.

When "1" (Bit 0) is set in the "Coolbits" option value, the
                  nvidia-settings utility will contain a page labeled "Clock Frequencies"
                  through which clock settings can be manipulated. On mobile GPUs, limited
                  clock manipulation support is available when "1" is set in the "Coolbits"
                  option value: clocks can be lowered relative to the default settings, but
                  overclocking is not supported due to the thermal constraints of notebook
                  designs. This is allowed on GeForce GPUs before the GeForce GTX 400 series
                  and Quadro GPUs before the Quadro Fermi series.

When "2" (Bit 1) is set in the "Coolbits" option value, the NVIDIA driver
                  will attempt to initialize SLI when using GPUs with different amounts of
                  video memory.

When "4" (Bit 2) is set in the "Coolbits" option value, the
                  nvidia-settings Thermal Monitor page will allow configuration of GPU fan
                  speed, on graphics boards with programmable fan capability.

When "8" (Bit 3) is set in the "Coolbits" option value, the PowerMizer
                  page in the nvidia-settings control panel will display a table that allows
                  setting per-clock domain and per-performance level offsets to apply to
                  clock values. This is allowed on certain GeForce GPUs in the GeForce GTX
                  400 series and later. Not all clock domains or performance levels may be
                  modified.

When this option is set for an X screen, it will be applied to all X
                  screens running on the same GPU.

The default for this option is 0 (unsupported features are disabled).
                  Found it in the README.

Comment

Originally posted by ageha View Post

According to http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...igoptions.html you have to set it to 8 for Overclocking after 400 Series.

I can confirm that Overclocking works now with Fermi, my GTX 560 TI now run on 900 mhz and Memory 4150 mhz stable.

BTW: If you want Overclocking and Fan Control at the same time you have to set Coolbits to 12.

Anyways nice Release got a little Performance boost in all my Games.

Comment

Working...
                    X