Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DDE 2.0 Desktop Is Looking Nice

Phoronix: The DDE 2.0 Desktop Is Looking Nice

This weekend marked the release of Deepin Linux 2014 along with the Deepin Desktop Environment 2.0 release that's powered using HTML5. In my testing of the release today, it's been working fairly well and is proving to be quite interesting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That looks like a pretty great modern desktop.

Comment

Re

While it is beautiful, it feels way to sluggish/unresponsive to me... Most of the things load very-very slow on first run, then work ok when the same action is executed the second time... In the Deepin Store, it froze the entire store(top-bar, everything, you can't even move the window) when it was checking for updates.
      You can feel it that it uses web technologies... A few seconds delay after every click(the Control Center for example, first loads) is getting very-very irritating...
      Over 2 GB of memory usage only with the terminal open and "top" command executing is not even close to "Lightweight"... And the CPU usage was high too...
      You just sit with top and you can see a lot of "deepin" processes being spawned and closed, each with 200 MB - 1.6 GB of memory consumption and a few of "message+" processes being spawned...
      I was excited initially, but no, thanks... I will keep using DEs that write native software that has proper memory and CPU consumption...

Comment

Ouch

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
        While it is beautiful, it feels way to sluggish/unresponsive to me... Most of the things load very-very slow on first run, then work ok when the same action is executed the second time... In the Deepin Store, it froze the entire store(top-bar, everything, you can't even move the window) when it was checking for updates.
        You can feel it that it uses web technologies... A few seconds delay after every click(the Control Center for example, first loads) is getting very-very irritating...
        Over 2 GB of memory usage only with the terminal open and "top" command executing is not even close to "Lightweight"... And the CPU usage was high too...
        You just sit with top and you can see a lot of "deepin" processes being spawned and closed, each with 200 MB - 1.6 GB of memory consumption and a few of "message+" processes being spawned...
        I was excited initially, but no, thanks... I will keep using DEs that write native software that has proper memory and CPU consumption...
        This is what I envisioned. Exactly. Hopefully bunches o' optimization can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by aschmidtm View Post
          This is what I envisioned. Exactly. Hopefully bunches o' optimization can happen.
          No amount of optimizations on that DE will ever come close to the performance of a native DE run system, whether it's KDE, GTK+/GNOME, Enlightenment, etc., never mind OS X or Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            No amount of optimizations on that DE will ever come close to the performance of a native DE run system, whether it's KDE, GTK+/GNOME, Enlightenment, etc., never mind OS X or Windows.
            That's a filthy lie. Modern desktop themes, widgets, layout engines etc are 99% similar to web page components. The widget toolkits even form a DOM like HTML. HTML5 with JavaScript and modern CSS is extremely close to modern native DE toolkits. The advantage is that you can use the same engine for everything. Not QtScript but JavaScript everywhere. Not Obj-C or GObject/Vala/C for Gnome but JS and HTML5. It's great and seems to work nicely now. The only problem is lack of optimizations but that will be sorted out. You can optimize some stuff by using emscripten, llvm, lto, asm.js, new VM technology, concurrect garbage collection, async I/O, 100% gpu accelerated rendering and so on. Lots of low hanging fruits to catch.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              That's a filthy lie.
              Please explain in detail how my eeepc 901 is able to achieve a comparable responsiveness to LXDE+Openbox using a DE consisting of HTML5 and JS.

Comment

I haven't tried it so I'll assume the criticism is just for now, but at least give them props for making a default install that doesn't look like someone vomited on a screen and took a photo of it which is pretty much the case for every other DE going.

Comment

Where's the source

I must be looking in the wrong place or something, because I cannot find the source code anywhere. Does this project have a git repo or something?

Comment

Originally posted by boudewijnrempt View Post
                    I must be looking in the wrong place or something, because I cannot find the source code anywhere. Does this project have a git repo or something?
                    Yes you must be either looking in wrong place or your searching sucks.

Free and Open Source, from deepin with love. // Old projects were transferred to https://github.com/martyr-deepin - Wuhan deepin Technology Co.,Ltd.

Comment

Working...
                    X