No announcement yet.

rv350 freezes without usb (fglrx 8.582)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rv350 freezes without usb (fglrx 8.582)

I have a notebook with a Radeon Mobility 9700.
    I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 and installed the new Catalyst 9.2 driver.

I'm glad it supports r300 cards again...
    ...though I have some issues.

As long as I have a USB mouse plugged in the system runs quiet stable. Booting without or unplugging leads to a complete system freeze within seconds.
    Standby and suspend will freeze system too. Problems with switching to console, switching users, new x sessions.

I can't find anything unusual in the logs...
    ...there is an error and some not implemented
    Code:
    $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "(WW)\|(EE)\|(NI)\|(??)"
    	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
    (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
    (WW) This ATI Proprietary Linux Driver does not guarantee support of video driver ABI higher than 2.0
    (WW) Video driver ABI version of the X server is 4.1
    (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
    (EE) fglrx(0): Unknown EDID version 0
    (WW) fglrx(0): Only one display is connnected,so single mode is enabled
    (NI) fglrx(0): ASIC Family ID/Name:46/M10 
    (NI) fglrx(0): ASIC Rev ID/Name:4/Not RV6xx family Device 
    (NI) fglrx(0): ASIC Device ID/Name:0X4E50/Not RV6xx family Device 
    (NI) fglrx(0): CPLIB is initialized.
    (WW) fglrx(0): Option "VendorName" is not used
    (WW) fglrx(0): Option "ModelName" is not used
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
    [..]
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x72
    but there is no difference between booting with or without usb mouse.
    Unplugging leads to a last entry in syslog
    Code:
    Feb 21 13:41:56 gizmo kernel: [ 2254.240095] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 3
    but nothing more.

This behavior is also known with the open source driver radeon, there are quiet a lot of bug reports on the net, for eample:
    Ever since I updated from gutsy to hardy, my Laptop freezes whenever I boot the system with kernel 2.6.24-16-generic and start an X session (kdm + kde) using the radeon open source driver. Most of the time I can still move the mouse pointer, but the rest of the system is not responding and I can't even switch to a tty. Other times the whole screen gets messed up and scrambled and even the mouse isn't responding any more. What's weird is, that I don't get that freeze if I boot the system with ...

And very often it has to do with mobility radeon 9700 or similar cards. Also the same problems with fglrx driver are mentioned.
    As far as I understood there seems to be problems between AGP V3 (supported by card) and AGP V2 (supported by bord and therefor forced AGP Mode x4).
    I don't know if this is a kernel issue just triggered by graphic drivers or graphic card issue or a hardware incompatibility,
    but the solution/workaround with radeon driver was to force AGP Mode x1.

Using radeon driver the last months this solution worked for me with similar symptoms.

I tried to force AGP Mode x1 with fglrx
    Code:
    Option	"AGPMask"	"0x00000006"
    without success.
    Code:
    (WW) fglrx(0): Option "AGPMask" is not used
    How can I get AGP Mode x1 with fglrx?
    Has someone any ideas what the real reason for this problem could be?
    Or is there maybe another already known solution?

If you need more detailed logs or configurations just say and I'll post them...

Thanks
    Last edited by Ren H?ek; 21 February 2009, 12:04 PM.

I tried to boot with irqpoll, it doesn't make any difference.

I tried to set BusType to PCI just to verify that AGP causes the issues. The option was accepted
    Code:
    (**) fglrx(0): Option "BusType" "PCI"
    but AGP was used anyway.
    Code:
    fglrx_pci 0000:01:00.0: putting AGP V2 device into 4x mode
    I tried
    Code:
    $ sudo aticonfig --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf --tls=1
    to make sure the AGPMask option gets into the /etc/ati/amdpcsdb config file. Option is not used.

Is there really no way to force AGPMode x1?

Comment

With Catalyst 9.3 I still can't use my notebook without a USB-Device. Instead of a freeze there is a black screen now...
      ...and options to set AGP Mode are still not used.

As there is no fglrx driver working on my system with Ubuntu 8.10 and bit by bit I got used to the open source driver, I'll go for Ubuntu 9.04 and follow the developments to come about radeon you hear so much off.

Comment

Don't you get that ATI/AMD has no money and wants to sell new things? By supporting legacy systems too good they won't sell anything.

Comment

I also had the same problem, with both drivers (fglrx and r300), so the problem isn't only from ati drivers.

The way I found to solve the problem is to had the following kernel boot options: nohz=off highres=off irqpoll
          Found this tip in the ubuntu forums, but don't remember which topic :S

Also read in the ubuntu forums that changing APG mode to 1x solve the problem, but haven't tried yet.

Comment

Raising AGP +0.1v could help too.

Comment

Working...
            X