Re : Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce 8 + 100.14.19 Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re : Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce 8 + 100.14.19 Redux

"Our problems have mainly come down to the driver improperly reading the monitor's EDID information and other connection issues with GeForce 8 hardware. "

Actually the issue is not with the binary blobs as the nv driver suffers the same issue and it effects cards geforce 6 class and up.

Purs like a kitten for me. Maybe it's because I already had an xorg.conf ready and didn't ask for the installer to mess it up for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Source Of Radiance View Post
      Purs like a kitten for me. Maybe it's because I already had an xorg.conf ready and didn't ask for the installer to mess it up for me?
      Same here even had nvidia-settings make a xorg.conf when I wanted to configure 2 monitors. No problems other than my DVI cable being to long, crappy picture on 42" TV.

Comment

Yes it does not appear on all systems but with certain combinations of hardware and xorg 7.3. The nvidia-xconfig generates a working xorg because it does not generate a xorg.conf with a modes list. Some xorg utilities that do generate a modes list don't work.

Comment

Just curious, but what is the specific problem with the EDID info? Does it produce modelines that are not correct for the display? I had this problem when installing Gutsy Gibbon fresh (though I believe it was using the open-source driver)...the installer utility reported the display resolution as 1680x1050 when in fact the mode was 1400x1050 (as reported by the display's built-in OSD).

Cheers,
          Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by avsa242 View Post
            Just curious, but what is the specific problem with the EDID info? Does it produce modelines that are not correct for the display? I had this problem when installing Gutsy Gibbon fresh (though I believe it was using the open-source driver)...the installer utility reported the display resolution as 1680x1050 when in fact the mode was 1400x1050 (as reported by the display's built-in OSD).

Cheers,
            Jesse
            Incorrectly reporting the resolution, ignoring it when manually specifying the proper mode, and stuff like the picture @ http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11124 which shows the Input isn't supported even when a picture is displaying and the picture is off the screen and does not auto adjust.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Quake4 FPS drop 100.14.11 -> 100.14.19

I ran the NVIDIA installer to drop 100.14.19 on top of my working 100.14.11 installation. I didn't change any other configuration (well, I didn't let the installer mess with my xorg.conf), and after running Quake4, my FPS was only running around 30, where before I would have no trouble hitting the 60 FPS cap. I ran the 100.14.11 install to roll back (sort of) and the same Quake4 setup ran at the capped 60 FPS once again (the game is capped, I have vsync disabled). I have a Dell laptop with an integrated 8600M GT. I thought that the new driver was supposed to improve performance with the 8 seriers. Has anyone else experienced this with Quake4 or any other games?

Comment

Quake 4 is limited to 60 FPS in standard game mode. Only timedemos would run faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Quake 4 is limited to 60 FPS in standard game mode. Only timedemos would run faster.
                  I understand, but I am getting less than 60 with 100.14.19. I used to hit the 60 cap with 100.14.11 with no trouble at all.

Comment

Resolved - but I don't know why. I am running a custom 2.6.23 kernel, and I rebuilt 2.6.23-rc9, reinstalled the nvidia 100.14.19 package and performance is back up where it ought to be.

Comment

Working...
                    X