Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo Starts Work On KDE-Wayland Support

Phoronix: Gentoo Starts Work On KDE-Wayland Support

Soon it will likely be possible to run a KDE desktop over Wayland using Gentoo Linux with its Portage packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's find and dandy, but what about Nvidia and AMD drivers?. If Canonical gets it's way, we may have NV and AMD telling us that if we want drivers then we need to move to Mir. And that's the whole ballgame. because I see zero point in using something with hacked drivers and no 3D support. Past two days I've been on mailing lists and IRC channels and there isn't a soul that knows anything yet. It's all in wait-and-see mode with a lot of finger pointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
      That's find and dandy, but what about Nvidia and AMD drivers?. If Canonical gets it's way, we may have NV and AMD telling us that if we want drivers then we need to move to Mir. And that's the whole ballgame. because I see zero point in using something with hacked drivers and no 3D support. Past two days I've been on mailing lists and IRC channels and there isn't a soul that knows anything yet. It's all in wait-and-see mode with a lot of finger pointing.
      They either support both or neither. That's because both just need EGL. Wayland needs one more specific extension on top of that, but if they are implementing EGL, might as well add that extension while they're at it as well (and in the worst case scenario it can be worked around in software).

Comment

If there is not to be a 3D support for Wayland well then I think there is no point in using it. Moreover if Valve is targeting Ubuntu, then obviously AMD and Nvidia are going to preferentially write drivers for Ubuntu too. In that case I will be forced to ditch KDE in favor of accelerated Unity.

Comment

Where did you get the "no 3D" from? At least the free drivers will work fine with Wayland and 3D. And you don't really think that AMD or Nvidia will ditch their professional customers, which are most likely using RHEL or SELD (read: Wayland, not Mir), do you?

Comment

What makes you think the professional market will move to either, instead of staying on X for the next decade?

Comment

Originally posted by pumrel View Post
              Moreover if Valve is targeting Ubuntu, then obviously AMD and Nvidia are going to preferentially write drivers for Ubuntu too.
              That's not obvious at all, considering that both NVidia and AMD have long said that the only reason they even create their linux drivers is to target the professional workstation market. That's RHEL, not Ubuntu.

Comment

There's so much FUD about this

Seriously, guys, it's obvious and it's been obvious for a long time that NVidia is planning to support both Wayland and Mir. Both, because supporting either one essentially gives you support for both.

And while AMD's fglrx plans are unknown, they'll obviously match any support NVidia has. The only question is how long it will take them before they get around to doing it.

Comment

I have complete confidence Nvidia will support Wayland

Here's why:

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Seriously, guys, it's obvious and it's been obvious for a long time that NVidia is planning to support both Wayland and Mir. Both, because supporting either one essentially gives you support for both.

And while AMD's fglrx plans are unknown, they'll obviously match any support NVidia has. The only question is how long it will take them before they get around to doing it.
                    If AMD manages to give us proper PM i don't give a fuck what fgrlx and nVidia will do.

Comment

Working...
                    X