Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I installed fglrx - what did I do wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I installed fglrx - what did I do wrong?

Code:
    eselect opengl set xorg-x11
    emerge -C nvidia-drivers nvidia-settings
    vi /etc/make.conf # set VIDEO="fglrx"
    shutdown -h now
    *you hear noises of a chassis being torn open, of screws being turned, a delighted "whoaah!" as the shiny red object is released from it's package, then another few screws turned and finally a loud *thud* as someone hit his head against the desk*
    Code:
    emerge ati-drivers # complained about kernel options
    cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig && make install
    emerge ati-drivers
    eselect opengl set ati
    emerge -avuDNt world # to honor the new USE flags
    shutdown -r now
    so what went wrong? Because - despite what everyone in here keeps saying - it just worked

Dual-Screen works, I can switch between VTs, I can spawn additional X servers, my composited desktop is stable, the wine games I used to play still work, ...
    I was actually prepared to re-insert the old 7600GT if the drivers don't do, but no.. it works!

Granted, I had to re-apply some tweaks I made before, just differently:
    - TwinView out, XRandR in. Works fine, I don't have to restart X to plug in the projector any more. \o/
    - re-checked all of mplayer's video out plugins to see which one works best with the new driver. Just as with the 7600GT, VDPAU was unusable.
    - apply a few different tweaks to wine games for a couple of fps. Too much shader-fu and they become CPU-bound, fglrx doesn't seem too strong on GLSL either.

Now it's not perfect, some 2D operations are slower (as expected), but kde3+fglrx is still faster than kde4+nvidia was. It works, I'm happy, and I can't wait to try the OS drivers in a couple of months (profiling applications is just so much more useful when every part of the system has debugging symbols).
    Until then, I'll just gaze at the beauty of windows games above 800x600@low details.

weird enough, i noticed that portage carries 9.11 - isn't that supposed to NOT support the 5770? It still worked

greetings,
    rohcQaH

The biggest fault was to buy ATI hardware

Comment

Is Far Cry(2004) among your wine game by accident?

Comment

nope, never tried it on wine. I played the first half of that game on windows back then, then I got bored and that was that. Farcry 2 looks beautiful on windows with the new GPU, but that doesn't change it's asinine story (hence, I never got through the game either).

On Wine, I mostly played guild wars, diablo 2 and torchlight so far. GTA: SA is faster than before, but still waaay slower than on windows (wine bugs). GTA: VC still works fine.

There are a couple more installed, but I didn't feel like playing them yet.

@Kano: as I expected it to not work, my expectations might have been met by buying another nvidia chip. true

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          i can test this for you...

install and the game works perfect on wine 1.1.35 + catalyst 9.12

runs very fast to!
          Thanks man.
          (also with nvidia I get a whole crapload of wine error messages, but it works)

Comment

come one.. nvidia is bankrupt !
            oh gimme a break.

Comment

hi,,. no problem...

can you post the nvidia-crapload-of-wine-error-messages ?

i'm interest in that because i do not have a nvidia-card anymore.
              Sure

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32dfb8,0x00000000), stub!
              fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e0e8,0x00000000), stub!
              fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32d894,0x00000000), stub!
              fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32d4a4,0x00000000), stub!
              fixme:devenumEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {cc7bfb41-f175-11d1-a392-00e0291f3959} not found
              fixme:devenumEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {cc7bfb46-f175-11d1-a392-00e0291f3959} not found
              Warning: Profile option 'NumTemps=' value (4096) too large; clamped to 32.
              fixme:dinput:SysMouseAImpl_Acquire Clipping cursor to (0,0)-(1400,1050)
              fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x17a7e0,0x17a728): stub
              BuildStripifyInfo: > 2 triangles on an edge... uncertain consequences
              Some of those are repeated very, very often.

This is with wine-1.1.32 and nvidia 195.22 on a G84M. It used to be worse with older wine and driver versions.
              That's why I was asking about FC1. It's now >5 years old and should really work. I wouldn't really care so much about the latest, greatest games, OGL extensions and features and what not.

Comment

Working...
              X