Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More AMD A10-7850K Kaveri APU Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: More AMD A10-7850K Kaveri APU Linux Benchmarks

For those anxious to see more AMD A10-7850K "Kaveri" APU performance numbers under Linux besides what was shared in yesterday's AMD A10-7850K Kaveri: The Linux Introduction and AMD A10-7850K Kaveri: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu Linux, here's some early result files available for comparison purposes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another interesting Kaveri APU to test would be the A8-7600 in special when set in BIOS to 45W TDP instead of the stock 65W

It seems to be a very interesting APU for a HTPC on steroids

I also wonder if it's possible to underclock and undervolt a A10-7850K and/or a A10-7700K till it gets at same level of low power drain than a A8-7600 set to 45W (AFAIK, A10-7850K and A10-7700K don't allow configurable TDP as an A8-7600, correct me if i'm wrong)
    Last edited by AJSB; 15 January 2014, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      Another interesting Kaveri APU to test would be the A8-7600 in special when set in BIOS to 45W TDP instead of the stock 65W

I also wonder if it's possible to underclock and undervolt a A10-7850K and/or a A10-7700K till it gets at same level of low power drain than a A8-7600 set to 45W (AFAIK, A10-7850K and A10-7700K don't allow configurable TDP as an A8-7600, correct me if i'm wrong)
      This was not possible with Richland, Trinity and Llano. The chances are low Kaveri will do it better.
      (Why should one want this by the way? O_o To use a spare unneeded K version as HTPC? Bad reason)

Comment

I've read somewhere that it's possible to set the TDP for the higher rated APUs too, but AMD only guarantees that it works as expected for the A8-7600 for the time being.

You can see here that in this UEFI Setup there is a mulitplier of 41 set (resulting in 4.1 GHz), so it mast be a "K" Kaveri - either a 7850K or a 7700K. And at least it's possible to set a lower TDP (65W or 45W) value or leave it at default.

Yep, I'm also looking forward to the 65/45W cTDP - and even more so for the mobile - parts!

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
          (Why should one want this by the way? O_o To use a spare unneeded K version as HTPC? Bad reason)
          Why is that a bad reason? I'm doing pretty much that, just it's a Phenom II X4 in my case. And I'd love if it could scale down, but the lowest setting causes quite a bit of heat and therefore noise... Same with the graphics card (HD 4890). I guess that was one of the reasons for hybrid graphics, so that when not needed, a low TDP chip can be used, as apparently high TDP ones can't scale down well. (I'm still not sure why, though...)

Comment

This was the part TechReport benchmarked and there was no performance difference in games between 45W or 65W settings. Definitely a win/win for a gaming-oriented HTPC chip if AMD would ever get their drivers up to snuff.

Comment

Excellent numbers! Thanks by benchmarking

My original predictions about Kaveri were

Comparing to obtained scores,

x264: I predicted 102 and Kaveri scores 94.45. Percent error = -7%
              John The Ripper: I predicted 4310.46 and Kaveri scores 3631. Percent error = -16%
              C-Ray: I predicted 38.96 and Kaveri scores 37.00. Percent error = -5%
              Himeno: I predicted 845.64 and Kaveri scores 958.10. Percent error = +13%

The average of the percent error is -4%. I am waiting for more scores.

My predictions assumed a 4GHz CPU. Kaveri is finally 3.7GHz. If I had know the real frequency before, I would offer better estimations. For instance, I would predict 94.35 (=102x3.7/4) for x264. The percent error had been reduced to 1% then :lol:

The John The Ripper score is too small. Part of the discrepancy can be explained by the clock reduction in Kaveri, but still there is about a 9% less performance. Could it could be a compiler regression for bdver2 and the score improve in a posterior test with an updated compiler?

At the other hand, the Himeno score is much better than I expected. The improvement is even more impressive when we consider the clock reduction. The improvement is of 22%, which implies more than 30% IPC. This huge IPC gain is about the same found in Wprime, in games, and in Floating Point GeekBenches. Apparently the FPU units were not improved. I believe that the improvement in floating point performance is due to the improvements made in the L2 cache. Do you agree on this analysis?

The average of the percent error is -4%. Would I say that Kaveri CPU performs about 4% poor than I predicted?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                This was not possible with Richland, Trinity and Llano. The chances are low Kaveri will do it better.
                If you read the review at AnandTech you can see that a A8-7600 with cTDP set to 45W beats the crap out of a stock A10-5800K in many gaming tests when....and the gaming performance difference to a A8-7600 at 65W or a A10-7850K at stock settings is many quite small and a perfectly acceptable....but in some games, the difference is much bigger...512 shaders of 7850K matters.

Why i want to try to do something similar with a A10-7700K or a A10-7850K ?
                Because two reasons:

1) I can scale performance UP if i desire to play a specific game with specific graphical settings that a A8-7600 simply won't cut it because it's locked in 1st place.

2) I can scale it DOWN even further in some circunstances in a different way thanks to have unlocked multipliers....and with that reduce power drain.

The problem of the A8-7600 is that if i want to OC it, i can't...the A10-7700K give us that choice....but can it be set in one way, with cTDP, or another, with undervolting and underclocking to achieve similar values ro a A8-7600 ?

Actually a A10-7700K is a A8-7600 with unlocked multiplier (besides slight bigger CPU base frquency)....i don't see any other differences except if cTDP is disabled in the 7700K...

The review at anandTech is not clear (in fact gives the impression of the opposite) about the A10-7700K and the A10-7850K can be set via cTDP....the only thing they done was undervolt and underclock slightly the 7850K and i liked the results no matter were clearly worse (power drain wise) than a A8-7600...but then again they didn't push further down than 3.5GHz the 7850K...i wonder if we could go with it down to 3.2GHz and disable Turbo Boost (this way is right in the middle of a A8-7600 with TB (3.1 <-> 3.3GHz) for example and what would be the power drain then.

Notice i also like to undervolt iGPU...no bad effects from that and lot's less power drain and less heat to dissipate...

Using a A10-7850K will give the benefit of 512 shaders vs 384 of the A8-7600...

Comment

Originally posted by juanrga
                  Could it could be a compiler regression for bdver2 and the score improve in a posterior test with an updated compiler?
                  Isn't Kaveri bdver3, ie Steamroller?

Comment

Am I alone in thinking the Kaveri's benchmarks are a bit disappointing? I did a comparison to my own system

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

And especially on compile times the new APU doesn't seem to offer any measurable benefit over my Richland.

Comment

Working...
                    X