Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Puts Catalyst 13.10 GPU Driver Into Beta State

Phoronix: AMD Puts Catalyst 13.10 GPU Driver Into Beta State

Just before the end of the month, AMD released the Catalyst 13.10 Beta Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD closed drivers SUCK!

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
      AMD closed drivers SUCK!
      Then why are they 20x faster than the open source drivers? I don't have any outstanding problems with them with my 7950 other than performance in games. I mean, at least my games are playable unlike the open source drivers lacking critical functionality.

Comment

Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaah....nah.

The fact the UVD, DPM, HDMI Audio, and now PXP support has dropped on the FOSS end means I am never, ever going back to Catalyst.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          Then why are they 20x faster than the open source drivers?
          You got a source on that claim, broski?

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
            Then why are they 20x faster than the open source drivers? I don't have any outstanding problems with them with my 7950 other than performance in games. I mean, at least my games are playable unlike the open source drivers lacking critical functionality.
            Who talked about Open drivers? AMD Opensource drivers are 10 years behing closed (on features and performance). I can't even imagine someone with a beast like 6970 or 7970 using open drivers. Even with DPM.

Still AMD closed drivers are pathetic in comparison to Nvidia. And opensource drivers at least they dont have not even 5% of the Catalyst bugs. That makes them better choice if you are NOT a gamer and you CAN (your kernel is at least 3.11) enable DPM.

I think AMD should drop support of Catalyst and follow "the Intel way" with real/strong support of opensource drivers...
            Last edited by verde; 30 September 2013, 07:13 PM.

Comment

May seem a daft Q, but does the linux driver support there new Rx cards ?

My 5870 is starting to feel its age! Having said that, Its been no problem and runs all the steam games for me in *nix. LGP's port of X3:r been the only hiccup its had.

Pete.

Edit :

Never mind, I guess not going on the release notes.
              Last edited by pete910; 30 September 2013, 07:43 PM.

Comment

It doesn't have new features because it's still the same release stream since Catalyst 13.8 Beta 1 from few months ago.

But it's still a good driver. Permission issue for Linux 3.10/3.11 fixed, Laptop display brightness finally works again and Unigine crash also fixed. Also the OpenGL performance regression of Catalyst 13.8 is fixed (input lag remains a problem).
                Last edited by d2kx; 30 September 2013, 08:03 PM.

Comment

The only time I've had a working AMD catalyst driver on linux was ONCE, after DAYS of researching, all of it to be screwed up into an broken system... by a reboot after trying to switch between the intel gpu and the AMD gpu.

Never again.

Intel opensource for me from now on..
                  Last edited by Caledar; 30 September 2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

well, I'm using Ubuntu 13.04, when I install Catalyst and sleep my laptop, it can't weak up (everything is ok with radeon). I think it's a bug, why AMD didnt fix it ?

Comment

Working...
                    X