Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Support for onboard Radeon X1200 (RS690)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support for onboard Radeon X1200 (RS690)

Is the Radeon X1200 (RS690) already supported by the newer distributions (post-October 2008)?

I get the following error message when trying to run an OpenGL application (e.g. glxgears) using the onboard graphics of my Asus M2A-VM:

unknown chip id 0x791e, can't guess.
    libGL warning: 3D driver returned no fbconfigs.
    libGL error: InitDriver failed
    libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering

Hardware accelerated 2D (Xvideo) is OK.

Thanks in advance!

Which distro and driver are you running ?
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Which distro and driver are you running ?
      At the moment I'm using Debian testing with xserver-xorg-video-radeon (6.9.0-1+lenny4).

Comment

OK, that should work if the Mesa and drm code are sufficiently new, which they probably are. Can you pastebin the xorg log ?
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          OK, that should work if the Mesa and drm code are sufficiently new, which they probably are.
          Actually I'd say this sound's exactly like a too old mesa or libdrm. I remember I got exactly the same error when trying to run 32bit-apps on my 64bit system (64bit-apps worked fine though). After some asking around on #radeon I finally found out this was because my distribution (Gentoo) only installed very outdated mesa and libdrm 32bit-libraries.

So I suggest you to update mesa and libdrm.

Comment

Agreed. If the distros aren't keeping all of the components in sync then users are going to be in for a world 'o hurt.
            Test signature

Comment

Debian is in freeze right now and new X.org and Mesa didn't make it AFAIK ...

You should use Xorg and Mesa from debian experimental branch ... and of course a pretty new kernel and libdrm... but I think the 2.6.26 in lenny is enough for rs690 support.

Comment

Originally posted by 0x791e View Post
                Is the Radeon X1200 (RS690) already supported by the newer distributions (post-October 2008)?

I get the following error message when trying to run an OpenGL application (e.g. glxgears) using the onboard graphics of my Asus M2A-VM:

unknown chip id 0x791e, can't guess.
                libGL warning: 3D driver returned no fbconfigs.
                libGL error: InitDriver failed
                libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering

Hardware accelerated 2D (Xvideo) is OK.

Thanks in advance!
                You need a newer mesa. Probably at least 7.2.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  You need a newer mesa. Probably at least 7.2.
                  This is the problem! Debian's mesa libraries are stuck at 7.0. Luckily X is modular enough I was able to force an installation of Ubuntu's mesa 7.2 (dpkg -i *deb), which I copied from my other computer running Intrepid. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. So far no crashes. I just hope Ubuntu and Debian are compatible enough.

Comment

should be ... at least I'm remembering some debian users using ubuntu ppa on the edge Xorg repos and they didn't experience problems with it...

BTW Was there no Mesa 7.2 in debian experimental branch ?

Comment

Working...
                    X